"What's happening?" she asked as she sat on my table

"Jasmine is thinking about what her daddy said" Jemima filled her in. Bimpe's expression changed to a sad one as she cupped my face "He. Can't. Do. It" She said, punctuating each word. 

I  nodded and smiled at my friends "Thanks . I love you guys" And really,  I did love my friends  they were standing by me as if they didn't have problems but we knew our issues.  Bimpe struggled with parents who lived as flatmates,  Felicia despite her bubbly self had a very sick mother and the treatment was fast consuming their finances since her father was paying the bills of four children and  bearing the burden of finances alone and Jemima also had money issues which was causing a rift between her parents . But despite it all, we stood tall and proud and we were there for each other not caring what others think.

We were still in our serious moment, when the head girl of the school, Zara walked in

"Where's your class captain?" she asked and I raised my hand

"Come and kneel down here " she pointed to the spot beside her.

"But,  what did I do ?" I asked

"That's a stupid question. So you're here and they are making noise. You'll bear the brunt of the punishment today. "

"Chai." I muttered. Classes were not ongoing and teachers were away which allowed students to have a little fun and there were usually no punishments except you were found loitering. So what was this new development? 

"We're sorry for disturbing the peace of the school" I said to appease her and my classmates added "Yes."
"See, if we make noise again, let my great great great grandfather not rest in peace.  In fact, amadi oha will strike his grave" Moses added and some people chuckled, I even smiled.

" Werey ni bobo yii sha" Bimpe mumured, shaking her head.

"Are you people mad? Is it weed? Do you think I'm joking?" She spat back and I drew my brows together. This one would be hard to please but the insults were not necessary and I felt my respect for her beginning to wane. Insultive seniors always brought out the worst in me.

"Listen, you better come out and kneel down here before I slap sense into your head. You must be very stupid! In short, your entire family is stupid! Who do you think you are? I'm talking to you and you are negotiating. Am I your mate?" Zara snapped and I stared at her with a slack jaw, my anger beginning to rise.

Firstly, this was a free period for the students. Secondly, I was not rude to her. Thirdly, my family did not deserve the insults and neither did I.

"Ha!" Bimpe shouted, staring at Zara. "Why na?" She turned to Felicia.

"I'm waiting." Zara said and all eyes fell on me. I remained where I was angry at all seniors who thought they could order anyone around the way they liked just because they were older and this one in front of me represented all of them.

"On top wetin nau?" Bernard murmured.

"My brother!" Moses replied him. "Na this kain person people suppose gather flog after school"
I couldn't agree more with Moses.

The tension in the class was so thick, it was almost choking me. I began to sweat and laugh, trying to fight back the tears that were threatening to pour down my face.

"Jasmine, just go and kneel down first so she can calm down." Jemima suggested. It was a rational suggestion, I knew I should have adhered to it but it did not appeal to me. My reaction was a hiss.

"Why?" Felicia snapped.

Zara hissed where she was and came to me and gripped my arm firmly, dragging me out. "Get out! Do you think I'm joking with you? You're very foolish. Idiot!" I resisted her shouting. "Leave me alone." I pinched her hand and she released me immediately and then slapped me.