Letter 10

Dear Spencer,

Oh, my God, brother! The fundraiser was a huge success! A lot of money was raised to help your family with the medical expenses. Might not be enough to cover for everything you'll still need, but it'll take a huge load off their shoulders for now. Money should not be one of the things they have to worry about, but unfortunately, healthcare is neither free nor cheap in this country.

I'm just happy to have seen a big smile on your mom's face. That was a nice change.

And boy, oh boy, was last night an eventful one!

It all started the day before, really. On Friday, Junior, Harry, Stephanie and I got together for lunch at The Ace so we could go over some last-minute things. Stephanie had that day and Saturday off work, which she had arranged ahead of time so she'd be able to help out and attend the event the next day.

In the middle of our conversation, Harry mentioned he was going to wear for his performance that shirt I made for him and sent from Paris for Christmas, but that he hadn't found the right excuse to wear it yet. I told him then to wear it to go to the supermarket if he wanted, but you know him, he was saving it for a special occasion.

His comment made me realize I didn't know what I was going to wear. Even if I wasn't going to be up on the stage, or it wasn't a formal event, I still needed something nice to wear, and I hadn't packed anything other than my every-day clothes when I rushed here.

I was hit by a sudden wave of panic, since I wouldn't have time to make something myself, and you know how much I hate going shopping in Bridgewater! Nothing is unique here. It's all department-store clothes that all look the same, and as a fashion lover, I like clothes to be interesting, to have some personality. I'm not over-the-top, nor I pretend that everything I wear has a designer tag, but I'm particular when it comes to that, I can't help it! Regardless, there was no time to do anything about it.

"We can go to the mall once we're finished here! I could use a new pair of shoes. The heels I was going to wear are too high, might be better off with something flatter..." Stephanie offered when I voiced my frustration for not having my entire wardrobe here in Virginia.

I was in utter shock! (Lol) Stephanie and I never hang out without Harry. This would be a first. But I couldn't say no. I really needed to go shopping, and Brenda wasn't coming until the next day... the only other option was going with my mother or yours, and they were too busy helping Shane. I couldn't just go alone, it would've been rude to reject her and then go on my own! So I accepted her offer.

We stopped by her (and Harry's) apartment before heading to the mall so she could grab the outfit she was planning to wear. I told her it would be best to try the shoes with it on, to make sure everything went together. I've only been inside their apartment twice. I avoid going in there like it's the old abandoned haunted house of the town.

The drive there was a little awkward, I'm not going to lie. It was like neither of us knew what to talk about, but it got better once we were walking around the mall and we could make conversation about girly stuff.

We looked at some shoes and it became clear to me that when Stephanie said "flatter shoes" she actually meant "completely flat". I tried to persuade her of having a little heel, but she refused my advice. Can't blame her, though, life is different for her up there at 5'10''. She's almost there with Harry at 6 feet. Down here at 5'4" it's a little less laid back... we worry about small things like heels!