Harry looked down at the desk nervously. He didn’t know what to say. He knew he should thank Louis for what he did at lunch, but Louis just made him get all shaky. He slowly glanced at the other boy, and was surprised to find that Louis was looking at him with an equally scared expression. Louis fidgeted when he saw that Harry caught him looking at him, and smiled sheepishly.

Harry turned to face him, and broke the awkward silence with a small cough, before saying, “Erm, th-thanks, Louis. For what you did at lunch today.”

“It was no problem at all, Harry. I couldn’t just let him do that. He’s a prick, I don’t know why I’m friends with him. He wasn’t like this before this year, I don’t know what happened….” Louis trailed off thoughtfully.

Harry nodded, staring at Louis’ angelic face while he talked. If Harry were being completely honest with himself, he’d say that Louis was absolutely beautiful. His features had a feminine edge to them, with those long eyelashes and pixie nose and thin, pink lips. His bright blue eyes were clear and perfect, and the way he pushed his fringe out of his eyes made Harry’s heart beat so fast he felt like it was trying to escape from his chest. He swallowed thickly, trying hard not to blush. “C-can I ask you something?” Harry mumbled.

“Of course,” Louis replied gently, his eyes softening with something that looked like…was that…was that FONDNESS in his eyes?

The thought made Harry’s heart pick up speed. He was afraid he was going to have a heart attack.

Louis coughed slightly, bringing Harry back to reality. He blushed again, realizing that he had been staring. “I was just wondering….why are you so nice to me?” Harry whispered.

Louis’ curious expression changed to one of complete heartbreak and devastation. “Oh Harry…I’m so sorry about all of this. I’m so sorry this has happened to you.”

“Yeah, I know, so am I. No need to pity me though, I’m fine.”

“But the way everyone’s treating you isn’t fine. It’s not okay. They’re all too close-minded to understand…You seem like a cool guy to me, Harry.”

Harry’s eyes widened. No one at Brookside had ever said anything like that to him before. “R-really?” Harry asked in disbelief. Louis smiled and nodded.

Harry bit back a smile. Maybe this day wasn’t so bad after all.

The rest of the hour passed by too quickly, to Harry’s disappointment. He never wanted it to end. The boys chatted about anything and everything; video games, football, movies, their families, classes; the list went on and on. When 4 o’clock rolled around, Harry felt very warm and fuzzy inside and his cheeks hurt from laughing and smiling so much. He loved the way Louis’ eyes sparkled when he got really into explaining something, and he loved the feeling in the pit of his stomach when Louis laughed because of something he said.

It was one of the best days Harry’d had in a while.

Mr. Anderson walked into the classroom around 3:55, and released the boys, who slowly grabbed their things and walked out of the classroom together. The walk down the stairs was oddly silent, Harry having stopped talking. He liked talking to Louis inside of the room, but outside…he wasn’t sure if Louis would want to be seen with him. Louis poked Harry in the stomach. “Whassa matter? “ he asked playfully. “Cat got your tongue?” He winked, effectively stopping Harry’s heart. “Nah, I’m just tired.”

“Me too, I think I’m gonna go back to my dorm. See you tomorrow?”

“Yeah, see you,” Harry smiled weakly at Louis before Louis grinned and walked away.

What was Harry thinking, fooling himself into believing that they could actually be friends? This is LOUIS TOMLINSON we’re talking about…Louis wouldn’t want to actually be friends with Harry. He was just being nice, that was all. Harry tried to push any hopeful thoughts to the back of his head as he walked to the dorms, looking forward to having a snack and a talk with Niall.