Chapter 37

"Hellooooo," Laura cooed as she trotted in, with curlers in her hair.
Shelly and Winter followed, each giving me a hug and the classic European two partial pecks on my cheek. I smiled at them, and caught a glimpse of Maddie rolling her eyes.

"Soooo? What did you want to tell us? Why are there so many hunky men outside your door?" Shelly asked, full of concern (I hope) and maybe a little bit of curiosity.
I think at this point, almost everyone figured out that I wasn't exactly just a tourist. Maddie nodded at me, almost asking for permission and when I smiled at her pursing my lips tightly, she said, "Hi girls, I'm Maddie. I'm part of the police force, as you might already know. I'm here to protect Yana. She is in danger and it's protocol to body check."

I mouthed, "I'm sorry," just as Shelly began complaining, "Againn? The scary guy with the black suit already didd."
Winter nudged her and said, "That's ok, we are happy to oblige."
I sat on my bed watching the girls squirm when Maddie searches for a weapon. I feel guilty, but it is so funny that I giggle.

Laura sat beside me. "So? Yana? Huh? I always taught Amelia didn't suit you. Too basic."
I texted, "Says the girl called Laura."
She laughed a little and threw her arm around me. "All of us have secrets. You have much more than all of us combined, but we won't hate you for it."

I liked the girls a lot. I don't know much about them, for all I know they could be part of the Serpents. But right now, they are my friends. If I have to name one thing that Russel is known for, that would be friendship. Sorry if it is cheesy, but I had a short montage of all the moments I had with the people here. That night at the beach when I felt like a kid, running with adrenaline, the day at the cafe when Winter called Alex over because she thought I was upset, when I went shopping with the girls, when Alex almost died for me... everyone is so friendly and did everything to make me feel at home.
Well, granted Alex started off being my friend because he was working with the people who potentially want to kill me, but you know, water under the bridge.

I gave my phone with the notes of the happenings to Laura to read it out loud. The girls took turns to read it, while they did my hair, and each other's make up. There were occasional gasps, and "I'm so sorry, Ames". The girls still see me as Amelia, it's hard to change your name in someone's head, I guess. I took less time to complete this tedious task but it lasted shorter than I expected it. Maybe because I didn't mention the parts about the crazy magic stuff that the pins can do, obviously. I'm still a little skeptical myself, and I didn't want to show them how it works when I don't even know how to operate them.

I looked at Maddie and when she walked over to me, I showed her my phone, "Maddie, you need to help us get out. Even if I am in danger, which I don't think I am, I have to help Alex, and I desperately need a normal-ish night, You can come with us. But please help me get out of here."
She seemed reluctant, and I looked down at the floor, as if to hide my tears.

"Alright alright. I'll talk to your dad. You can stop acting now."
I didn't think she would buy it, but she seemed really understanding. I don't think I'm in any danger because I made a deal with them to go to Bibury to save Farren. It would be foolish if they want to kill me before that.
As she walked out the door, presumably to talk to my dad, the girls cheered and started badgering me with so many questions.
I took out my phone to text. Typical. Avoiding problems, or talking about it is my go to thing these days.
Yana: Dad, I want you to keep an open mind.

This was unfair. This is my life. I should be able to do what I want, without getting permission from my dad like a 12 year old. "God! Would you stop pouting like a 12 year old then." I can imagine Landon saying that to me. I smiled at his memory.
I told the girls that I was going to the toilet to finish up my make up. I asked them not to disturb me while I'm putting on eyeliner. This should buy me some time.
I texted Landon.

Yana: Hey.
Yana: You were supposed to update me.
Yana: What is going on?

Landon: Hey, so far, so good. We just got out of the airport. We will be going to the house soon.

Yana: Did you eat?

Landon: Yeah, Harry and I are going to go to the Maccies drive through and get something.

Landon: How's everything?

Yana: It's as expected.
Yana: Shelly, Laura and Winter are here... I told them almost everything.

Landon: What?
Landon: Are you out of your mind?

Yana: Landon, stop. I can take care of myself... it's my thing and I choose who to tell.

Landon: Do you really trust them?

Yana: Landon, it doesn't matter. It doesn't make a difference. The serpents know I'm here, have always known. Which means whoever kidnapped Farren also knew that I was here. It doesn't matter anymore who I tell.
Yana: And I'm going to the fair. And maybe a party too.
Yana: To find Alex.
Yana: And I need a break.
Yana: Maddie is coming too.
Yana: Please don't try to talk me out of it.

Landon: Yana? Can I ask you something?

Yana: You are going to ask me anyway. Whatever answer I give you.

Landon: Did you text me so I can tell you that you are being stupid?

Yana: Haha
Yana: I can most assuredly tell you that that was NOT on my agenda.

Landon: Alright. You want to give me another thing to worry about, sure. That's your speciality anyway.

Yana: A bit condescending, but I'll take it as your form of giving support.

I shut my phone off and sighed. It took me exactly two seconds to put on my eyeliner. I was about to leave the toilet, when my phone vibrated.

Landon: So, you want to tell me what the agenda was then?

Yana: I'm not going to answer questions you know the answer to.

Landon: A little validation always helps, Princess.

Yana: How about we make a deal?
Yana: If both of us are alive by the end of the day, according to our plan, you should be on your flight back, and I should be in this room by 8 am tomorrow- my time.

Landon: Right. A little morbid, don't you think?
Landon: But thanks. Thanks for pencilling me in your very tight schedule, Princess. It is appreciated.

I got into my dress, and I walked out the door and the girls were all nearly ready to go. My phone vibrated once more.

Dad: Stay safe.