Chapter 12

Philipa looked at me as her sharp green eyes pierced through me. I started to wither under her strong gaze and sensing my discomfort her eyes became warmer and she sighed in relief before a wide smile broke across her face.

"Amelia, I was just asking Landon what was taking you so long! Would you like to come in and have some lemonade? And yes I do have news about Farren and Harry." She answered predicting the obvious question that was still burning in my mind. I smiled back at her and walked into the house.

Philipa led me to the living room where the view of the jade coloured sea and the golden sand broke my train of thoughts. I could have stood there forever but Philipa cleared her throat which wrenched me back to the real life.

"So how have you been? Are you liking it here?" She asked with a very cheery tone which immediately lifted my spirits.

"It's not too shabby." I signed smiling and her lips twitched upwards.

"I'm glad to hear that, Landon told me you are quite popular around here." She exclaimed, looking impressed.

"What can I say people just love mute girls," I signed in reply, anticipating the news from her.

"I bet you are itching to find out about Farren and Harry. I'll just get straight to the facts, Harry is safe and well protected, I can't tell you where he is as it might compromise is safety." She said in a very confident tone.

"Farren?", I signed, hoping for more good news but her eyes became sadder and panic started to set in.

"I'm so sorry, we are trying our best but we can't find her...yet," She replied in the tone that I know too well. It was the way we were instructed to talk to people who are distressed when I worked as the 999 dispatcher. I knew they were no where near finding her. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach and my breath came in hot, sharp blasts. I could not afford to have a meltdown here. It's not going to help anyone. John had trusted me and left Farren with me, he trusted me and I couldn't do anything to help her. Guilt clenched my throat and I was finding it more and more difficult to breathe. Philipa had gone quite too. She looked as distressed as me and sadness swarmed her eyes.

"Trust me, I will find her. John has joined us in looking for Farren. He will contact you soon, a familiar face will help. I won't let anything happen to her or the baby". She said, her voice shaking at the end. I disregarded it as Farren's safety was clouding my thoughts.

" Can I please talk to Harry?",I signed. She looked at me for a while and nodded, slowly.

"I'll try to make something work, but I'm going to need some time to make sure no one traces anything back to either of you." She said her tone was quite firm which subtly indicated that I shouldn't do anything stupid to try and contact him.

"Thank you," I signed, this was the silver lining I could hope for now.

"I get that all of this is new and you may feel confused about everything. I would explain everything to you but I have to leave soon. I could answer a few of your questions now before I have to leave." She arched her eyebrows, awaiting my questions.

"The pin...what is it?Why do people want it so badly?" I asked her waiting for her to give me a good answer. My imagination always played the most absurd scenarios. Right now, while I waited for her to answer I was convincing myself that it is not a Harry Potter situation I am in.

"It's not magical is it?," I asked her as she seemed to be deciding what bits of the puzzle she was going to give me. She laughed before looking at me dead in the eyes. I was crossing my fingers, hoping she wouldn't say anything more absurd than what happened to me, Harry and Farren.

"Well as you already know the pin is very special. It is a family heirloom and has been passed down the family line for generations. The thing about the pin is that only the person who owns it or has owned it can look at the pin. Only people descended from your ancestors or someone that you trust the pin upon. This is a fact that not many people know about other than the people who own it. This secret is what has kept it safe until now." She said looking very serious. I had the strong urge to laugh but I stopped myself before I make her mad. I had a hard time believing it. It all just seems like a big prank. My life is like a soap opera. I instinctively touched the pin which was safely secure in my hair. Philipa smiled at my action and looked away as I pulled the pin down.

"Can you see it?," I asked curiously, forcing Philipa to look at the pin.

After what felt like ages she muttered "Yes, now that you have told me about it. But not before. It looked ordinary to me."

"I know you have a lot more questions but I have to leave now but you can ask Landon about the pin. The boy knows more about the pin than me. He's done his research. You can ask him for the book, It has some information about the pin." She said and stood up to leave. A wave of helplessness hit me again I had to ask Landon for help. That is how bad my situation is right now. I stood up to wish her luck and head back to the hostel.

"Goodbye, Amelia. I'll let you know when I know something about Farren," She said and a glint of sadness passed over her face. She turned to leave.

"By the way, I like your hair, you look a lot like your mother." She said and left me standing there alone.