111. Illusions

We had about four and a half hours of free time, sitting on top of a moving train. So we decided to find a way to contact Fury without being traced.

" You have that VPN?" Peter asked me.

" Yeah, you sure they won't be able to track it?" I asked worried.

" I'm not sure, but it's our only way of communicating." He stated.

" Then I'll text Fury." I told him.

" I'm sorry." Peter said when I was done with the text.

" It's fine." I told him.

" No it's not. Your dad trusted me with EDITH and I gave them away." He sighed " Just because I didn't believe I was worthy enough."

" Peter." I said, taking his hand. " It's not about being worthy or not-"

" Easy for you to say, you literally held Mjolnir." He said.

I looked at him, I knew he didn't meant to sound rude, but he did. But I didn't want to get into an argument. " Dad didn't make them for you to have them when you were worthy." I said " He made them so you could learn, fail, get better."

He sighed " I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound rude. You know how I feel about the hammer. It's awesome, and you're awesome. And I just don't know what to do anymore."

" We get to Fury and we get back those glasses." I told him.

When the train was in Berlin we jumped off it and walked to the front of the station. Peter was about to ask the way when a black car stopped right in front of us. The window went down and Fury was sitting behind the wheel " Get in." He said.

We did what he said. Peter sat in the front and I sat behind him. I put on my seatbelt and and we drove away.

" You have a lot of explaining to do." Fury told us.

" No, no, no, listen." Peter said.

But Fury interrupted him. " Wait until we're secure."

" Right." Peter sighed.

" Ehem." Fury cleaned his throat, mentioning Peter to put on his seatbelt.

He pulled on it, several times and the last time he tried he broke it.

Fury didn't look happy. He never really did, but he looked even more annoyed than usual.

We got out of the car and entered a white building.

" Is this SHIELD now?" I asked him.

" Part of it." He stated.

We went up some stairs and entered an office. It was a pretty office, with a big table and art on the wall. Maria was already waiting for us. She didn't look happy either.

" So, is there anything you want to tell us about your girlfriend?" Fury asked Peter.

Peter looked at me, confused. And I was confused as well.

" He's talking about EDITH." Maria told us.

" I know I made a mistake, and I'm sorry, but he is not who you think he is." Peter told them " Beck is a liar. Mysterio, the elementals, it's all fake. He has some sort of illusions tech. That's how he tricked you and tricked me into giving him EDITH. It's a projector, I pulled it off the fire monster in Prague."

I put the projector on the table. And to my surprise, Fury and Maria didn't seem fazed.

" So all that death and destruction we witnessed was created by this?" Fury asked us.

" No, not just this. We think he's using a lot more drones." I told them.

" Well, if this is true," Fury said " then Beck's very dangerous and we need to be smart. Who else did you tell about this?"

" No one." I told him. The less people knew about Ned and MJ the better.

" Parker? Parker?" Fury asked him when he didn't answer.

" What's wrong?" I asked him, knowing the look in his eyes.

" It's Beck, he's here." He said.

" What? Hill?" Fury asked confused. When he asked that Maria transformed into a hologram and went away. He was using his tricks on us.

A few seconds later we were standing in an empty building. Fury tried to shoot at something but he flew backwards from the shockwave.

A drone shot me in the neck with something. And when I pulled it out and looked at what I was holding I passed out.

When I woke up I was sitting in a chair, on a terras in Venice.

" What?" I asked confused. What had happened? Where was I?

* You're a smart one Walles.* I suddenly heard Beck's voice.

" What did you do to Peter and Fury?" I asked.

*Fury was right. You really put everyone else before you." I heard from all around me. * All you had to do was just destroy the monsters and enjoy the rest of your vacation.*

A hole opened up in the ground and I fell through. Around me, while I was falling I saw giant statues of the avengers. Steve, Nat, dad,... I hit the ground and my surroundings were a city, floating in the air. I was in Sokvia. Robots started attacking me so all I could do was hit them with energy blasts. They went right through them, it were holograms.

*Don't you think it's time for you to retire?* He asked. * After all you've been through, don't you deserve to rest?*

" Shut up!" I yelled.

Ultron threw me off the city and I fell into a new illusion. A graveyard.

*You are smart Odette, I give you that. But you weren't smart enough to save dear old Tony Stark.*

A giant grave, with Anthony Stark, written on it. I tried to run towards it but I never reached it. I was running so hard, tiring myself out.

*If you were smarter no one would have died.* He said.

" Shut up!" I yelled at him again.

But in the distance I could see him, in his stupid costume, digging dad's grave. A half rotten Iron Man suit crawled out towards me and shouted " This is all your fault!"

*Who else did you tell Odette?* Mysterio asked.

" No one." I said, wiping away the sweat from running.

* I'm not stupid. Tell m-*

Someone shot him. The illusions disappeared and Fury walked up to me. A team of agents surrounded Beck's body and Fury asked " Who did you tell Walles? Those people are in a lot of danger."

Did he just call me Walles? I realised it wasn't Fury and said

" This isn't real." But it was too late, the illusions disappeared. I looked to my right and saw Peter, and a second later we were hit by a train.