43. Dear dad

I had made up my mind. House arrest was becoming too much and I just wanted back my freedom. The freedom to walk out the door without being followed by the CIA. And the fact that the ferry incident almost landed me in jail made me anxious. 

 It was the day of homecoming. Everyone was getting ready, posting everything on instagram, while I, was sitting in my room, watching The Office, and prying off my ankle band. When it was around 8, I decided to call Peter, I was gonna say goodbye for the last time.

He immediately picked up. " O?" he asked. 

" Hi!" I said. 

" What's up?" he asked. 

" I euh," I heard traffic " are you in a car?" 

" Oh yeah May is driving me to Liz's house." he told me. 

" Oh okay." I needed to tell him "I was just calling to euhm," 

" What's wrong?" he noticed. I couldn't do it. He sounded so happy when he picked up. 

" Nothing. I was just calling to check in, so how are you? Nervous? Excited? Ready to dance?" 

He laughed " Good, I'm good. Wished you were here though." He made my heart melt. 

" Yeah me too." I smiled sadly. 

" What are you doing tonight?" he asked. 

" Watching The Office." I lied. 

" That actually sounds more fun than dancing." he laughed. Which made me laugh as well 

" It does. But anyway, I was just calling to see if you were okay." 

" Yeah I am," he said kindly. 

" He's a nervous wreck about the dancing." I heard May say which made Peter yell " May!" 

" Hi May!" I yelled back. 

" She says hi back. We're here, I'm gonna have to go." he suddenly said. I closed my eyes and tried not to cry.

" Okay, have fun." I told him. 

" Thanks," he said " and thanks for calling. See you tomorrow." 

" See you." I said and he hung up. I pulled myself together, crying wasn't gonna help anything.

All I needed to do now was write dad and Peter a letter. So I grabbed some pen and paper and sat down at my desk to write.

Dear dad,

As you can see, I've left. Don't worry, Natasha and Steve are responsible people. I'm sorry, about everything, even though I don't always show it, I am. I'm sorry for not agreeing on the accords, I'm sorry about grandma and grandpa, I'm sorry for yelling at you about mom and not showing that I love you more and I'm sorry about the ferry. But I can't do this anymore, I can't be locked up, while others live their lives. Going to school helped, it really did. But I miss them too much. If you need me, call the number on the back.

I love you dad, and I'll always be there for you.

Love, Pumpkin xxx

Ps: Please give Peter the letter I wrote him. It's on my bed.

Dear Peter,

As you've noticed I haven't been stargazing on the roof anymore. I've left to go stay with Steve, Nat and Sam. I hope your homecoming went well. Last time I called you I wanted to tell you, I really did. But hearing your voice I couldn't get it over my heart. At first I really hated you, with the passion of a thousand suns, but in those weeks we spend together, I've only grown to love you. You made me feel safe whenever my brain was wrecking about the future, you brought me snacks without hesitation, you truly are a dream boy. Now that I've left I'm a wanted war criminal, pretty cool huh? But in all seriousness, I'll miss you.

You mean the world to me Spider-Boy, don't you forget that.

Love, Odette xxx

I grabbed the packed bag from my bed, looked at my room one more time and closed the door behind me. I was really gonna do it, I was really leaving. I checked if I had everything, my suit, my phone, Steve's phone, the letter. I looked at the back of it, Orange county. 

I placed dad's letter on the kitchen table, he would probably find it when he got back from his trip to Paris. I looked at the compound one more time, even though I had grown sick of it, I was gonna miss it. 

I snuck out and made my way to a bus station. I payed for a ticket to Orange county and got on the bus. There weren't many people on it, just an old couple, and some backpackers. I chose a seat and sat down. Grabbing my headphone and ipod from my bag and turning it on. 'Don't you forget about me' was the first song that popped up, how ironic. I still listened to it. The bus started to drive and I saw the city disappear behind me. To distract myself I decided to go through the screenshots on my phone. God, I was gonna miss these people