Chapter 16

Riley lets me in and we hug each other so tight that we can barely breathe. I love every second of it if I have to be honest.

"So what do you want to do? We can watch a movie or we can go somewhere." Riley says with a huge smile.

I don't want to go anywhere. I just want to hang out with Riley. But then again we need to talk....

"Riley can we go to your window please? In your room?" I ask.

Riley looks shocked. And I know why, we never go up there anymore.

"The bay window?" Riley starts. "Are you sure? I thought we outgrown doing that....we haven't sat there in years..."

Riley looks down and looks back up at me with a faint smile. I smile back, grab her arm, and bring her to her room.

We sit down next to each other on the window seat. Awkwardness fills the air. I miss this place. It was our gateway out to everything on our minds. I lay my hand on a part of the purple cushion and move it side to side.

"Riley I have something to tell you." There's a pause and Riley starts to get nervous.

"What, Maya?"

I take a sigh. "One, I miss you like hell. I never want us to be so distant from each other ever again. Okay?"

Riley nods in agreement. "Okay."

"Sisters before Misters." I add.

"Two," I continue. "Lucas wants to break up with you." I say quietly and quickly, hoping that Riley didn't catch what I said.

She did.

"Come again? I don't think that I heard you clearly." Riley's voice begins to crack.

I take another sigh and say the sentence slowly this time. "Lucas. Wants. To break up with you."

Riley just looks at me. She surprisingly hugs me. "I know." She says as she lets go of me.

I look at her. She's crying and smiling at the same time. "He wants to date you. You guys have major chemistry. I knew since that day that you two went to the park." She begins laughing. "He wants to be with you Maya. You're a lucky girl."

I stare at Riley in shock. She knew this entire time. Why didn't she tell me? We tell each other everything.

"But Nathan...." I say trying to process everything.

"Oh yeah. Nathan...." Riley says. Seeming to be thinking too.

"Riley what do I do? You're good at this stuff please help me."

Riley puts her arm around me in comfort. "If I were you I would choose the guy I really like."

"We're too young for this Riley."

"I agree."

"Yeah. Love is tough." A familiar voice says at the window. He climbs into the bedroom and sits down.

Still in Riley's arms I smile and release myself. I give the random figure a big hug. These are the people and moments that I need back in my life.

I release the hug and wipe a tear from my face. "Farkle." I say. "Where have you been?"