Chapter One

"Lucas we really shouldn't." I say, backing up and knocking something over.

"But Maya, I want to." Lucas takes my hands and pulls me close.

I push him away. "But Riley, what about Riley? And Nathan? I have a boyfriend remember?"

He hugs me. "Riley and Nathan can't come between us."

I hug him back. His scent is so amazing. I get butterflies in my stomach and I never want to let go.

But I have to. And I did.

"No. No Lucas. I can't hurt the people who matter most to me." I grab my bag and head for the door.

But not before Lucas comes up from behind me, turns me around, and kisses me. His lips are soft and I'm so at ease. There's nothing but us in the world at this moment. His lips are locked to mine and I feel that "we", are suppose to happen.

We stop and stare at each other deep in the eyes for a moment before I hug him.

"Maya don't leave me."

"I won't."

But let me start from the beginning....

----------

Me and Riley walk into the school and Riley is happier than she has ever been.

"Riles?" I ask her.

She turns around with this huge smile on her face.

"...Why are you so happy?"

"Riley!" I hear Lucas's voice as he runs up to Riley and hugs her.

He takes Riley's hand and puts his other in his pocket.

"H-hi." Riley response. Staring at Lucas.

"So I'm guessing that the date went well?" I ask both of them.

"It did. We are officially...."

"...a thing." Riley finishes.

I look at both of them back and forth.

"I'm so happy for you." I say sarcastically. "...but I don't want to be the third wheel. Plus, wait a sec." I take out my phone and snap a picture of both of them. I send it to Mr. Matthews. "And send."

"Maaaaya, why did you take that picture?" Riley turns to me.

"And why do you think you'll be the third wheel?" Lucas ask me, still looking at Riley.

I walk by his side and wave my hand up and down his face. I then do the same to Riley and go in between them.

"Do you two not see yourself?!" I ask them.

"Uh...what, what did you say?" Riley says.

"Ugh." I grab my bag and go to my first class.

----------

"Since we already learned how to communicate with one another, let's kick it up a notch. Today we will learn about how to trust each other." Mr. Matthews says to us pacing back and forth.

Riley looks behind her to stare at Lucas again. Mr. Matthews walks to them while he's still taking, holds onto Riley's head, turns her around, and makes her stand up.

"Trust, is what we needed to learn when we wrote important things in this country such as the Bill of Rights." He walks Riley to the front of the room and makes her face the board, still holding her head.

"We needed to trust the people of the government to not take too much power to use for themselves."

Riley forces to turn around for a second to smile at Lucas. Mr. Matthews turns her back.

"Then why don't you trust me and Lucas dad?" Riley says in a happy tone.

"He's a boy. Me and your mother don't accept boys."

He lets go of Riley's head.

"So for this assignment you all will have to be honest to each other and the people around you for one week. You will have to trust what others say with no complaints."

"Completely honest?" I ask.

"Completely 100% honest." Mr. Matthews responds.

"But sir, what if we lie. Will there be some kind of lie detector that you have for us to wear around our wrist and get shocked if we do so?" Farkle ask at a quick talking speed.

"No Farkle. If you lie, then you lie, and that doesn't do any good for you. Don't you all want to be trustworthy people?"

"No not really." I answer.

The class starts murmuring and I catch Lucas looking at me.

Riley turns around quickly. "I'm already a trustworthy person. So this will be easy." Riley stares at Lucas all lovey dovey, smiles, then sighs.