Chapter 11

I look in the girl's bathroom, the library, even the art and music room, no Riley. I check janitor closets, empty classrooms, the cafeteria. I find nothing.

After my search around the school I go to the door to see Lucas waiting.

"Nothing?" He ask me.

"No. Dude where could she be?" I stomp out of the school building with Lucas close behind.

"Well where would you and her usually go after school?"

I sit on one of the school steps. "I dunno. We get pizza at Diminoe's Pizzaria."

"The place where you and Nathan met."

"How did you know that?"

"Riley."

"Riley. My best friend is missing."

Lucas stands up. "Let's go. We need to head over to that pizza place and see if she's there."

"Why would she be there?" I stand up and run towards Lucas's direction.

"I dunno." He starts walking. "But it's worth a shot."

----

"Lucas?" I turn to him as we sit down and the train moves.

He looks at me and smiles a bit. "Yes."

"Do you even care for Riley?" I ask with a serious face.

Lucas's smile quickly fades away. "Of course I do."

I roll my eyes and turn away. "Sure you do." I whisper.

"Excuse me?"

I turn back around. "Okay dude, you're the reason why Riley's been acting weird and pretty depressed lately. But I bet that you didn't notice that because you don't care for her. Do you not realize that our friend disappeared most likely because of you causing her problems?? You two were great as friends and I don't understand why you....SHE DESERVES BETTER LUCAS."

Lucas just stares at me with a plain face. "She deserves better?"

"Hell yeah." I turn back around.

"Well I think that you deserve better too."

I look at Lucas with a weird look full of shock. "I. Deserve better?"

"Yeah."

"Okay country boy. You've been here for three years and it seems as if you don't know how relationships work. Me and Nathan have a great boyfriend girlfriend relationship and I really like him."

"Oh do you now?"

"Yes."

"Maya, when was the last time that you felt nervous around Nathan? When was the last time that you felt a spark between the both of you? Did you guys even kiss? Almost at the least?"

I fold my arms and think about what Lucas just asked me. My heart practically stops and I feel like crying. I put my head down trying to get the words out of my head, instead I say them out loud.

"I....I don't..." I begin to choke up. There is a long pause, I don't want to continue, but I do. "I don't deserve him, Lucas. He can do better than me." I begin to cry. "I'm not good enough for anybody. Am I?"

Lucas wraps me in his arms and I lay down on his chest. "You're good enough for me, Riley, and many others. If they can't see how special you are then that's their loss."

I start feeling butterflies in my stomach along with a bunch of guilt. This is my best friend's guy.

I finally realize what Lucas was talking about. That day at the park, just us. That moment ー he felt it too.

I look up to see Lucas looking down at me smiling. I smile back and he wipes away my tears. "Anyone would be lucky to have you. You're amazing."

My head moves closer to his and he leans in closer to me. Then....