Chapter Eight

That Saturday afternoon I meet Nathan at the Pizzaria where we first met.

"Hey Maya." He smiles at me.

"Hey, Nathan." I respond smiling back.

"Oh. Here." Nathan pulls pulls out Godiva chocolates.

I take the chocolates and look at them. I look back up at Nathan and giggle a little. "Thank you."

"Do you know why I chose those specifically?"

I laugh a bit. "No you big dodo." I mess his hair up a little.

He laughs and flips his hair, moving it back to place. He takes one of my hands. "I chose this chocolate brand first, because they're actually really good." He laughs.

"Awh c'mon. Tell me."

"Okay okay. Let me finish." He looks into my eyes. "I chose this chocolate brand because 'Godiva' sounds like a Greek goodness name. And I have a pretty good feeling that Godiva was beautiful. Sounds beautiful. Seems beautiful. Is beautiful. Just like you." He smiles wide, showing his teeth. He sways my hand and I am blushing like crazy.

"So I'm your Godiva?" I ask stepping closer towards him.

"Yes. Yes you are."

"Well then I should come up with a nickname for you."

"You don't need to." He shrugs.

"Yes I do!" I say smiling like crazy.

Our eyes lock again. "Well if I can't give you a nickname...."

"Yes...."

"Then let me at least give you this." I stand on my tippy-toes and kiss him on the cheek.

"Gift accepted." He says.

I laugh. "We should get going. We're going to miss the movie." We walk out of the restaurant together.

--------

That night, after the movie, Nathan and I take a walk in the park. Hand in hand we walk through the cool autumn air.

"Tonight was a great night. Thank you. For everything." I say to Nathan.

"No no. I need to thank you. I haven't felt so important in my life." He responds.

"What do you mean?" I ask concerned.

"Well other than my friends and school. I never talked to you about my family."

"Neither have I." We stop walking and I face him.

"What do you mean?" Nathan ask.

"I mean I have a mother who could care less about me, and my father." I try not to get emotional at this point. "My father, he has a new family."

Nathan lets go of my hand and hugs me.

"Nathan. It's okay. I swear it's okay."

Nathan lets go. "No. No it's not okay. I know how you feel and it's not okay. My mother left our family for another. And my father, he thinks of me as a worthless piece of shit. It's not okay for you to feel the same way as me. A great girl such as you shouldn't...shouldn't feel that way."

"I don't want us to feel that way." I hug Nathan and he hugs me back. We don't let go for a while, but I don't mind it.