eight

'Someone requested a job from us.'

Hongjoong looks to Jongho, who just come back from getting tomatoes from the market. They're still parked at the dock, having a few odd jobs and things to get.

'Huh? Who?' Hongjoong asks as Jongho puts down the dozens of tomatoes he got.

'Someone stole from the jewellery shop. The owner told the police but you know how they are.' Jongho explains.

'How much?'

'50 coins. We get to keep the stolen jewellery if we find it.' Jongho says and Hongjoong nods.

'Not bad. Let's do it.' Hongjoong says and leaves the kitchen. He walks out to the dock. 'Jen! You're going on land again!'

'What? Why?' Jennie asks as she jumps down from her usual barrel, throwing a lollipop behind her into the sea as she does.

'Robbery at the jewellery shop. Bring someone with you just in case.' Hongjoong orders.

'Yea mum.' Jennie says and looks around. Normally she'd bring Jongho with her, but he's still angry with her. Wooyoung is too much of a drunk head, and San is too baby to bring. And don't even get her started on Mingi, who's just a very tall and grown 5 year old.

Her eyes then fall on Seonghwa, who's helping Jongho with the other groceries he bought.

'Mr Guest put on your jacket, we're going out for fun.' Jennie says as she threw the black hat at the male again.

Seonghwa looks to Jongho, who nods, telling him he'll be fine with the groceries himself. The raven haired boy proceeds to put on the hat and follows the girl off the ship.

'Where are we going?' Seonghwa asks the girl.

'We're going to play detective.' Jennie says and puts on her hood.

'Why's he sending you then?' Seonghwa asks, knowing Hongjoong is the most intelligent one.

'There's actually two brains among us. Hongjoong has one, and the other one is right here.' Jennie says and points to her head.

Seonghwa chuckles and nods.

'I'll see if that's true.' Seonghwa says and raises an eyebrow with a curious smile. Jennie smirks and chuckles.

'Robberies are my specialty.' Jennie says and takes out a lollipop as usual.

The two make it to the jewellery shop quickly due to Atlas being a small town. Jennie enters the jewellery shop swiftly.

'What can I help you with?' The shop owner asks seeing them enter.

Jennie holds up her arm, pulling up her sleeve showing him her tattoo.

'Ah, you guys are quick.' The owner says and walks out of the counter. 'My shop was broken into a few days ago, they stole 330 coins worth of jewellery.'

'They broke in from the front door right?' Jennie asks and the owner nods.

'How did you know?'

'I saw the scratches outside. They broke in using a pick.' Jennie says and looks around the shop, Seonghwa follows her around.

'They broke this case.' The owner says and points at the case on the counter. The jewellery shop has many jewellery around, but only the case by the counter was robbed.

Jennie looks at the broken case, the broken glass has been cleaned up but the counter is still intact. She leans down to look at the case.

She finds a little bit of blood on the ground.

'We'll be back.' Jennie says and the owner nods.

'Thank you. Here's half of the money.' The owner says and gives them a bag of coins. It's part of their procedure to take half of the cost first.

Jennie throws up the bag of coins, and smiles.

'We'll be back to take the other half.'

The two walk out and Jennie throws the money to Seonghwa.

'Am i your slave or something?' Seonghwa asks sarcastically.

'For the day, yes.' Jennie says and smiles cheekily.

'You know if the royal court knows how you treat me, you could be beheaded.' Seonghwa says and Jennie shrugs.

'Good thing I'll never step foot into the capital ever again in my life.' Jennie says as she looks at the ground as they walked.

'Why?' Seonghwa asks curiously.

'Well you're a curious lad.' Jennie says as she keeps walking, with Seonghwa following her.

'And you're a mysterious gal.' Seonghwa says and Jennie scoffs.

'Your highness shouldn't get too curious, sometimes it hurts to know the truth.' Jennie says and stops walking.

She leans down as she sees the small hint of blood on the ground. She stands and looks at the rusty door in front. The neighbourhood seems poor as the building are run down.

'You good at kicking open doors?' Jennie asks and Seonghwa raises an eyebrow.

'You're just going to break in?' Seonghwa asks. She shrugs.

'They're not going to answer the door.' Jennie says and Seonghwa sighs.

'No, I'm not good at kicking open doors.' Seonghwa says.

Jennie takes out a pin from her pocket and picks at the lock. She unlocks it quickly, looking at Seonghwa after.

'Why did you ask me then?' Seonghwa asks with a confused face.

'Cuz I kinda want to see you kick open the door.' Jennie says and smiles before going in.

They walk into the small house, seeing how messy and run down the inside is. Jennie checks out the living room, filled with alcohol bottles and cigarette buds.

Seonghwa looks around too, going to the kitchen to check it out, but then, he sees the little boy, sitting in the corner hugging his legs.

His face, covered in bruises.