Chapter 38: Inside

Chapter 38: Inside

It wasn't until after eleven when Audra and Neil came hobbling back to the car. I said hobbling, because Neil seemed to have been injured.

Seeing this, Hanz and I immediately rushed to them, assisted Neil to the car, turned to Audra. "Are you okay?!" I said embracing her. "What happened?!"

A small nod from her, before she pulled back to give Neil a hard stare. "Yes," Audra said. "I'm okay. But male, here, just had to test the system."

"Test?"

A flamboyant smile was starting to spread on Neil's lips when I turned to him, which surprised me a lot.

"They have the newest technology in there," he said. "Or out." Neil straightened up, puffed out his chest. "Basically, the security server we needed to access for the CCTV and alarms was inside Blackwell's property. But the plot twist was it was outside the main building itself, easily accessible." He shrugged. "Audra and I spent a few hours testing what we could do."

"So you're okay?" Hanz pried. My question exactly.

Neil stretched his arms. "Yes, I'm okay. I just need a few minutes to rest. We'd been through a brawl."

"Don't ask," Audra said, just when I was opening my mouth. "The important thing is the four of us are here, and the security system is out of the way."

"Right," Hanz said. "Should we get ready then?"

I didn't have to agree to dictate the next move.

One hour later, the four of us had changed into our casual clothes; Leather jackets and jeans for me and Audra, a black varsity jacket for Hanz, and finally for Neil— what was that he was wearing?

He frowned when we all turned to him. "Chill," he said, buttoning the top of his Hawaiian shirt, complete with printed pineapples, but on the darker color. "If I am to die— which I won't, I want to die with dignity."

"That's dying with dignity?" Audra asked him.

Neil finished buttoning up his shirt. "Why, yes. Yes, it is. And look at you and Leighton wearing couple jackets. Yuck!"

Audra rolled her eyes at him, but swiveled to me. "I can't protect you that much when we're inside," she reminded. "Pax, are you sure—"

"Don't worry," I said.

"I'm just saying I trust you on this," she cleared. "Completely. But don't be too reckless. Don't be like me."

I sighed. We had to work on that.

But even before I could tell her anything, Hanz had taken the bags we would need from the trunk. "Guys," he said. "We're almost up."

"Okay, big guy." Neil took one bag from Hanz, hooked it over his arm, passed the other bags to us. "Show time."

We didn't have to wait until it was one o'clock. Around twelve midnight was safe enough to go down to the nearest manhole we'd spotted— yeah I know, we had no other choice.

Down the ladder, as soon as we got into the sewers, the familiar rotten scent overwhelmed me so much that it took great effort not to gag. But Neil wasn't so lucky. As Hanz was covering the manhole from the top of us again, I could hear Neil retching somewhere to my left, complaining for his life as always.

"God, it reeks down here!"

"But is everyone okay?" Audra asked.

My eyes began to adjust before anyone had even answered her. Luckily, the four of us seemed to be in a similar situation. None had thought to open a flashlight yet.