Chapter 7: Debate

Chapter 7: Debate

It was safe to say that I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Not a wink.

Not after Neil had made it a show to drag Audra into a corner, far away from me as humanly possible. Not after the flashlight was turned off and the accusations turned to silence. Not even after Hanz had positioned himself next to me, told me to rest without further explanations.

I mean, not that I was complaining, but how could anyone sleep at this time? At this chaos with no other people to help us? My heart wouldn't allow it. My legs wouldn't too. It was far too heavy. And my mind. . . It was bursting with thoughts. What had we been caught into?

But maybe. . . Maybe the others had just surrendered to exhaustion, wanted to shut themselves off for a while. And maybe after some time I did too. Because the tell-tale signs of sunshine from the window was there the next time I opened my eyes, coupled with an argument from two people. Guess who? Neil and Hanz, of course.

"I told you. I told you, we're leaving."

"No, you're not."

My gaze focused on them. Smacked dab in the middle of the office, Neil was all set to go, while Hanz was by the door to the back— not the one leading to the store, but the other one that would let them escape through the alley.

Neil whirled to Audra, whose back was turned to me. "Say something," he urged. "Tell him we need to go."

"Pax!" Hanz looked relieved to see me awake. Pointed to me as if proof. "How can the two of you think of leaving her?" he said. "What awful people are you?"

Neil wasn't unperturbed. "We've had this conversation before, hadn't we? We leave this place with or without her. How hard is that?"

Hanz was talking to Audra now, completely disregarding Neil. "Please," he said. "Let's sort this out for a while. I know you—"

"That's enough." Audra had finally spoken. She didn't turn to me, though, yet I knew that she had one of those firm expressions on her face, something really close to when she'd stood up for me one year ago on the school stage. But this time, her answer was not about me. It was for a selfish reason altogether. "We're staying here, Neil," she said. "If not for anyone, then our safety too."

"What?!"

"We need more time," Audra said to her best friend. "And didn't you see what happened last night? After the two of them fell asleep?"

What happened last night? My face was a huge question mark.

Glancing at Hanz, he simply shook his head, then turned to Audra, as if he knew something was up. "I wasn't asleep yet too," he admitted. "People were all over the place, searching for us."

"Not just ordinary people. Men in black."

At this, Neil ruffled his hair. "So what?" he said. "We just stay here?"

"That, or we get caught the moment we step out of that door," Audra reasoned. "I think staying here is the only alternative for now."

"Shit!" Neil turned to me, his expression saying it was all my fault. Again. I didn't understand where this hostility was coming from though. What did I ever do to him except to tell him back in the school that we should help Audra from the man in the lab coat?

Hanz's face was slowly displaying a winning smile. "There is strength in numbers," he said. "Plus, we need to figure out what is going on outside. Only then, and after we've got more rest can we decide and get out of here."

Neil gave a low groan when even Audra beside him nodded. It seemed that he had ran out of options, even with his best friend. "Fine," he said, all bitter. "But I'm only doing this because of Audra. Remember, female, you owe me one."