Chapter 10: Out

Chapter 10: Out

I had never tried robbing a bank before, but if I were to do it? Man. . . This, right here, would be the feeling somehow as we were about to escape.

The four of us were extremely quiet that night, as we crept to the door to find our luck. Alright, I wasn't creeping like them, so to speak. It was more of me being assisted by Audra, Hanz leading the way. As for Neil, it wasn't new that he would go barking orders even when he was on the rear. What did I expect?

"You're being too loud," Hanz complained as Neil, once more gave us instructions of what to do. Being on the front, Hanz had almost obstructed the view of the whole door, his massive frame not leaving room for anything else.

"I'll quiet when you do this right, Peterson," Neil replied.

"Shh!" Audra said. "Are you guys ready?"

Hanz squared his shoulders, took a brief look at us, lifted his weapon, the same one us the other's. "Keep in the shadows. Mash anyone's head who gets in our way. I get it already." He glanced forward again before anyone could agree. "Here we go." He paused, then opened the door.

Everyone's breath was held when the entryway to the alley was finally revealed. It was dark outside, almost pitch black due to the time. Being in the back alley, it was hard to tell if the streetlights were on, or if it was off like in this area's case. But one thing was for sure. It would be easier for whoever were chasing us to spot us if we used a flashlight. So we didn't dare open one.

"Ready?" Hanz asked, moving an inch forward. "This is our chance to escape. Audra, on your signal. I don't see anyone on the alley outside."

"Go."

Audra lifted me on her back the moment Hanz was out of the way, brought the two of us forward too.

I felt a little bit guilty when this was suggested. After all, why couldn't anyone else had lifted me instead? Why Audra? But the boys each had their own duties; I just had to lessen the load for everyone else. As such, I remained perfectly still on Audra's back while we filed outside the store's office, but it was hard to do so, seeing how cold it was.

I shivered when the wind blew over.

Audra pulled me closer to her. "It's okay," she whispered. "Just hold on to me."

I would have given her a short reply if it wasn't for the fact that my heart was racing; both at the thought of being caught by those tracers, and at being too close to her. I could smell the shampoo Audra had used days before. After all that had happened, she was still smelling good. Like fine wine. Or dark chocolate like I'd love to compare her to.

My inconvenient thoughts were brought back to the present, when Neil cleared his throat behind us. "Well?" he whispered. "Is the coast clear?"

"Just a second," Hanz said, his voice barely audible. "My eyes are still trying to adjust."

As with mine. I shook my head a little gently. Need I remind myself that this was not the time to think of strange thoughts towards Audra? I had to focus. I wanted to help us too.

I squinted forward, then to the corners where people could be hiding. Where tracers could be lurking to catch us. "There's no one further," I whispered. "There's only a big trash bin and a broken bicycle."

"No one speaks from here on out," Neil said. "You want something, you tap somebody's shoulder like we've gone through."

"Copy." All of us said.

Hanz gave us a nod and started moving forward again. Audra, who was holding me on her back tightly, followed right after him. Neil was right behind us. Everything was going according to plan, for a few steps at the back alley at least, until we hit our first roadblock.