Chapter 21: Actions

Chapter 21: Actions

It had been five days since I found Audra. Five days since I realized that Dante and this town weren't normal at all. Five days since I had done nothing, but steal more things.

Every midnight, once I was sure that the people in Conduit were asleep in their huts, I would sneak around, loot whatever I could find, and bring it back to Audra. Yet that didn't amount to much, especially since we were both stuck here; her more than me.

She straightened on her cell this evening the moment she heard me coming. "Pax. . ." she greeted.

"How did you know it was me?" I placed my own torch on the wall, then carried the backpack to her; one of the many I stole again.

Audra's face tilted onto the light, as if she was drinking in the warmth. She smiled, though her eyes were closed. "I know your footsteps," she explained. "They're light and quick, but a little bit unsure."

"Really?" I couldn't help but grin at that, coupled by the butterflies in my stomach as her features became more apparent as I approached. Audra was always a feast to the eyes, but it was her presence that I craved most, especially the past few days when I felt more alone than I had ever had in all of my life. Having her near me was the only recess.

Her eyes opened this time, shining in this soothing way that always comforted me. "What did you steal?" she said.

"Well. . ." I tried not to let the fast beating of my heart hinder me from opening the bag. "Food."

"Oh good."

"A change of clothes for you, Audra."

"I don't want to wear what you're wearing though," she said.

I sighed before I could stop myself. And it had taken me a lot of time to steal these things too. Maya was even more restless when she was asleep.

"I'm sorry," Audra said quickly, "It must had been hard to get those things. It's just that. . . I don't feel like being a member of this town. Not just yet."

"I don't too," I said.

"I know."

But of course she had to point that out. I took the last item of interest from the bag and showed her the sage. "Time to clean your wound," I murmured.

After changing the dressing and letting her sit more comfortably, Audra, like the other days before this, leaned her head against the wall on the left side of the cell, and decided that this was the time we should talk some more, just like those other days.

"So," she said, with the tone of settling into a long conversation. "What had you been up to while you're gone?"

"Farming."

"Yeah?"

"And helping Maya and Mart. . ."

There was no more after that, which made me flinch. This had been the case for the last few days. Her, asking bits and pieces about my day, and me not giving much at all.

I must had been so boring to be with. Audra must had been ready to slam her head on the wall. I mean, I would too if our positions were reversed.

Yet Audra gave me a contented look, which I didn't know where was coming from.

As always, the pinch of guilt nabbed me in the gut. "I'm sorry," I rushed. "I'm not much of a conversationalist."

"No, you're doing fine," she said.

I flinched even more. She didn't look like she was lying, but how could she seriously enjoy that?

"I'm. . . My parents are Doctors. Did I ever tell you that, Audra?"