Chapter 12: Home

Chapter 12: Home

It was a pain going to the stairs after my talk with Hanz. But an even bigger pain to know that the crutches fitted me like a glove. It didn't use to be like this before.

Going to the landing upstairs, I breathed a sigh of relief; both at getting to my destination on my own, not needing anyone else, and also getting away from Hanz's perceptive eyes. I didn't know he could be like that too.

Sighing, I tried to focus on my task. "Audra?"

The hallway in front was empty of her, the door to the farthest corner of the area closed. Was she or wasn't she in my parent's bedroom? Although, I didn't see her downstairs before Hanz and I went on our ways.

The floorboard under me creaked as I took another walk.

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

It sounded exactly like that time too. I stifled a groan as I pushed my parent's bedroom door opened and squinted inside. A single figure was slumped on the bed.

Neil?

I looked around. The handcuff was removed from his arm, placed on the bed beside him. The guy, for all intents and purposes, was still fast asleep.

I was just wondering whether Audra was in my parent's bathroom or not when something sounded in the hall. Quickly, I turned around, and found the door to my bedroom an inch or two ajar.

My heart jumped to my throat. Was it possible? Could she be in my bedroom right now?

"Audra?" I continued to my room, limped one step at a time, until I was pushing my own door open— stepped inside.

I squeaked when the door behind me closed.

"Hey, Pax."

"H-hey. . ." There she was. Just in front of me, one hand pushing the door, another hand traveling to her mouth which she gave a gentle wipe.

"What's up?" she asked.

"You're in my room."

"Oh." She let go of the door, swiveled around. Frankly, I had no idea what she was doing here. Maybe she was looking for something to do. "It does smell like you," she said.

"Like what?"

"Like. . ." Audra's shoulders stiffened, then she took a step towards my bookshelves, examined the paperbacks I'd collected over the years. "What do you have here?" she said instead.

Okay. She totally dismissed the question, but I needed to answer her anyhow. "Books, just books."

"Tom Sawyer." She spoke. "Oliver Twist. . ." Audra lifted her hand to the spines, as if to find something there. "All adventure books, Pax. I never pegged you for someone who wanted to have an adventure."

"Well, you don't know me. None of you does."

"Right. . ."

I wanted to slap myself silly the moment I said that. It shouldn't have been my answer at all. My answer should have been, 'Yes, Audra, I'm a person who craves for adventure. Excitement. But due to my introverted nature, I can't. Because you know what? I'm a loser. A faker. I don't even have friends and my parents probably think I'm weird.'

Alright, not the last few parts. But still. I should have been cooler for Audra, yet I was nothing but a joke.

Glancing at her, she was still examining my room, had now moved on to my nightstand. "Cool light," she said, leaning down to my merry-go-round lamp. "Does it work?"