Chapter 6

FIONA's POV

I froze like a popsicle as my brain was still trying to process what just happened.

"What are you doing?" 

We quickly adjusted ourselves. My eyes were roaming around to avoid contact with the person standing in front.

Louis cleared his throat "It was an accident"

"Oh really" Susan breathed heavily and turned her gaze to me, her glare piercing through my soul even though I was not looking directly at her.

"Louis, why? You must feel terrible for making such an expensive mistake with her" she pouted and drew a seat closer to him. He did not reply nor did he look at her.

"Let me help ease your pain" Susan giggled and puffed her lips but didn't dare move close to him with the expression on his face like that of a soldier in training.

I just kept silent, feeling the tense aura.

"Louis, I've liked you for a very long time" she smiled shyly with her head bowed

"Why don't we have dinner together, you know? Like a date" Susan slowly rubbed the back of his palm.

I stood up and briskly walked past them.

"Fiona!" I heard him through the jammed door before taking a deep breath and walking away.

I gasped and turned as I was pulled.

"Louis? What are you-"

"I'm sorry for all the weird things that have been going on lately" he faked a smile as he avoided my stare.

I nodded and pulled my hand from his grip.

"I'm leaving" I walked away as fast as I could

"Cool, so where are we going?" Louis jogged to catch up with me.

I glared at him with a sneer "What do you mean by 'we'?" I emphasized the last word

"All these started because of you, you're so annoying, always following me with no good reason, I told you what you need to know. Why bother me? I can't take it anymore" I breathed out.

Louis was about to say something but withdrew, he didn't say a word. The sad look on his face like a baby who lost his balloon made me regret telling him.

I turned and left, he was not following me, I still felt his stiff presence behind, having a mixed feeling of happiness, sadness and maybe guilt made me question myself if I missed him or was just hunted by guilty conscience.

Louis didn't say anything to me during the next half of the day, he sat on an empty seat close to his friends, very far away from me. It was good to be finally able to listen to what the teacher was saying but I felt something was missing.

As I was about to board a taxi after school we passed each other, it felt like time froze for a second just for me to take a glimpse of him.

I spend my evening feeling the guilt of my life taking two hours to fall asleep.

We had the regular morning announcement, courtesy of the principal in the large hall painted a royal blue and silver similar to that of the chairs

We had the regular morning announcement, courtesy of the principal in the large hall painted a royal blue and silver similar to that of the chairs. The big silver chandelier fixed in the centre of the high ceiling lit up the vast room. Although the doors and windows were shut, the air conditioners kept the stuffy room ventilated.

I didn't spot Louis after the crowd left for their various classes. I went to my locker and took what I needed. 

Turning right after my locker was shut I sharply inhaled standing like a statue with my mouth agape as I saw someone I wouldn't want to see today.

"W-What are you doing here?"I managed to ask after the long silence.

"I just came to tell you that-"

"I know, I'm sorry about what I said yesterday, it won't happen again. Let's just keep our distance from today" I raised my gaze to him.

Louis paused for a second with his eyebrows furrowed following a short chuckle that revealed only his canine.

"It's not that, I came to tell you my timetable was adjusted to fit yours, that means we'd be having classes together"

"Wait... just for today right?"

"Nope, every day until we graduate"

I separated my lips to speak but no actual words came out, I didn't know whether to scream, cry or yell at him.

"C'mon sit buddies for life" he pulled my hands to the classroom, I felt rigid still unable to recover from the shock.

Dylan and Jack did not have the first class with us. Louis kept saying unnecessary things during the class and in the middle of it, he tells me he doesn't understand what the teacher said.

When we were given a class activity to submit in five minutes he held his pen deliberately waiting for me to finish first.

When I was done I stood up to submit but Louis pulled me back.

"What?" I turned to him

"Are you done?"

"Yeah, I want to submit my note"

"But I don't understand the questions, can I have your book?" he faked a laugh as I gave him my usual apathetic look.

"Why don't I teach you?"

"Thank you, maybe next time" he grabbed my book and started copying.

I was not in the mood for scolding or argument so I didn't fight back.

When Louis was done we submitted then the teacher marked and did corrections, some questions were asked and answered before we heard the bell.

He smiled at the five out of five written on his book like he earned it. I rolled my eyes at his expression before leaving.

"Hey! Fiona wait for me" Louis trailed behind.

I saw Dylan and Jack as we were about to settle down for the class.

They were sitting next to us, I always sit behind during classes because the front always draws attention and I've never wanted that. 

Everyone will assume I'm there because I know it all. I don't answer questions in class except when I was picked by the teacher but it happens rarely. I'm there just for grades.

"Hello Louis" Dylan waved.

"And Fiona" Jack chipped in as he wiggled his eyebrows. 

I found that very disturbing and darted my eyes.

Louis walked to his friends, they were discussing something but I didn't bother to listen.

When the Mathematics teacher stepped in everyone took their seats. 

"Submit yesterday's assignment" was the first thing she said.

I took out my notebook and was prepared, Louis on the other hand was panicking about his empty page. Dylan and Jack seemed to be bothered about theirs too.

For some reason I felt sorry for Louis and made up my mind to help him, I moved closer to see the book, at the sight of it I already felt discouraged.

"He didn't even write down the questions" I muttered to myself.