-9- In a Gem

~Still Pearl POV~

I warped outside the ruins. My mind began to ring, I couldn't hear (Y/N). That worried me.

I felt the slightest tears prick at my eyes as I found (Y/N)'s gem on the ground among the garments. I knew she would be okay, but it still worried me. I checked her over for any cracks. But luckily, nothing was damaged. I dissipated the Hollow-Pearl.

I can't believe (Y/N)! I told her not to go too far! What if I hadn't found her! What if her fight had led her to falling off of the ruins, it's happened before, and shattering on the ground!

I wouldn't be able to stand it if she got hurt. So much has happened in just two weeks. Sphene, training, fusion, and now this. I've never seen her poofed. I mean, I saw her in their gem when Rose brought her to us two hundred years ago. But since then she's been unchanging. Just this solid figure that was always reliable. I guess the only real change I had seen in her physical form, was the whole thing with Sphene's stupid insignia.

But now that I think about it, based on what I've learned about (Y/N) in these short weeks, she must have changed a lot over those two hundred years. I guess I saw a little of that two hundred years ago. When she first formed before us, she was scared of us to start with. She seemed to quickly adjust, but from time to time, she would tense at something one of us said. She would constantly be flinchy. But she slowly lost that fear, and smiled more.

Steven really helped with that. I guess he showed us a brand new side of her. This joyful, happy, caring, and slightly overprotective nature. She always showed that around Steven. But that helped her open up to us. After Steven was born, sure she spent most of her time with baby Steven and stopped going on missions, but she was happier. She was calmer in panic situations, she was more open with everyone.

"Pearl!" Steven perked up at the sound of the warp, "Where's (Y-"

He saw her. Garnet and Amethyst looked at the gem resting in my hands.

"I knew it was only a matter of time," Amethyst surprisingly told us.

"You knew?" Steven looked to Amethyst for explanation, and I hate to say I joined him.

She had a bored, yet slightly concerned look on her face, "(Y/N) still had those marks on her. And based on what Sphene had said, that wasn't the first time Sphene had put those marks on her. And since we never saw those marks on (Y/N) before, I assume they can come off when she reforms."

"That was... Surprisingly insightful Amethyst," I couldn't believe she had deduced so much about (Y/N), so much I didn't think of.

Amethyst wasn't done, but Garnet finished for her, "She needed to reform before she could move on."

That must be why she wore those human garments. It was to cover the insignia. A slight anger rose in my chest, 'Did she do this on purpose?'

"I can take care of her gem while she reforms," Steven offered, and I hesitated to hand her gem over.

I knew he was going to take good care of (Y/N), but I didn't know how long it would take her to reform. Rose had already found her as a gem, so we don't know how long she was out. We never asked, (Y/N) never had a good sense of time anyway.

I let Steven take the gem from my arms. He made a little nest of sorts for her. Just like he did for me the time I had poofed.