-6- Back Home

I wiped my face, just to make sure there was no sign of distress, "Yeah I'm right here."

I sat the book down on a hammock, and sat on my bed. Pearl walked into my room, "Are you doing well?"

"Oh yeah!" I feigned surprise, "Are you? What do you need? You can tell me whatever."

She laughed slightly as she sat next to me on the bed, "Here you are, after going through everything, and still worried about me."

"What do you mean?" I stood up and dusted myself off, "Are you sure something's not up with you Pearl?"

"Don't avoid the subject," She reached out and touched my shoulder, I couldn't help but wince, one of the more fresh marks hurt under her touch, "Sorry!"

"No! It's fine," I shifted in place, "I guess I just hate you guys seeing me like this."

She joined me standing, "Like what?"

"Broken?" She was startled at my words, but I kept going, "Scared? I hate people seeing me upset. I don't want you to feel like you need to help me. I don't want people to take time to try and care for me and my 'feelings.'"

I shook free from her grasp, my eyes drifted to Sphene's marks burned into me, "I'm not worth it."

Though I was just mumbling, I worried for a split second that Pearl had heard me. Why is it that whenever I try to move on, something stops me?

"(Y/N)?"

"I just wish..."

"Wish what?"

"Never mind," I smiled at her, trying to alleviate her worry, "I'm just spouting nonsense, I'm going to see Steven."

With that, I walked out. Sure, I felt bad leaving Pearl in my room like that, but I needed to get out.

"Hey (Y/N)!" Steven called from the game of cards he was playing with Amethyst and Garnet, "You doing okay?"

"Yeah yeah!" I waved him off, "Just gonna get some fresh air. Yo, Ste-man can I borrow some pants and a jacket?"

After changing into those, I headed off. I couldn't do much for the marks on my face, but the human clothing covered most of my body. I felt a bit cleaner. I felt the sand under my feet, and the waves splashing at my heels. The salty air felt good in my lungs.

I ended up wandering toward The Big Doughnut. Sadie was closing up the shop, "You coming for a doughnut (Y/N)?"

"Nah," I scratched the back of my neck, "I'm just kinda walking around. Trying to find something to keep my mind off... Things..."

She thought for a moment, "You wanna come over to my place and watch some horror movies? Those always cheer me up."

I smiled, "Yeah, that might be a good change of pace. Thanks Sadie."

We walked over to Sadie's home, it felt good. We watched some Zombie movies. When the last movie was over, Sadie's alarm ringing 6:00 am went off.

"Crap!" Sadie scrambled to the restroom, "I can't be late! I shouldn't have stayed up all night."

"I'm so sorry!" I got up and started cleaning up our mess, "Gems don't need to sleep so I sometimes lose track of time. I could probably cover for you if you want."

"No!" Sadie turned to me, "I don't know what goes on at your's Steven's Place, but it's obvious that you needed a break. And I'm not too tired. Don't worry about me, take care of yourself. You need to let the others know how you're feeling."

"Thanks. I needed that."