Second Thoughts

It's been two days since Damien found out about Aaliyah and it hasn't gone well. Damien hadn't called once since that night. He hasn't even come over. I'm a little scared for Josie but also Derek. They have been fighting a little. Last night I woke up to find Derek sleeping in the living room and Josie sobbing. Stress is not good for the baby and them fighting is putting her and the baby at risk.

"Derek can I talk to you" I said entering the living room where he was watching tv.

"What's up"

"Are you having second thoughts about you and Josie?"

He sighed. "Yes. I have been ever since she told me about the Aaliyah. We have been fighting over stupid things and honestly at some points I do wanna break it off but I can't because she's carrying my child."

"Well do you at least love her?" I asked

"I don't know. I'm confused. There are times when she'll say 'I love you' to me and I day it back but without feeling."

"Derek I know that somewhere deep down inside you really love Josie and she has also had it really rough. I honestly wouldn't wanna be in her shoes. She doesn't even talk to her actual family except for her aunt who by the way leaves today. Your her family and she needs you more than ever right now. You guys don't have to be together for the sake of the baby but at least try to grow really close."

"I know she's had it tough and I mean I guess just being friends would make it more comfortable" Derek said

"Oh and one more question"

"Sure?"

"If Josie where to get back together with Damien. Would you be jealous?" I asked him

"To be honest yes"

"There you go then. You do love her."

"Then why does it feel like I dont"

"Why do you think you feel that way"

"I don't know maybe it's because we don't go out like we used to or share the same connections as we should. You see before I got Josie pregnant I really did like her. The first moment I laid eyes on her I wanted her to be mine but every time I tried to hit on her or ask her out she turned me down. It wasn't until we ran into each other at the club when we made love and conceived a baby."

"I think you guys should talk and take her out too. Remind her what it's like to have fun. Go baby shopping too she's already six months pregnant" I suggested

He nodded. "Alright I will but can you watch Aaliyah. Amy has a flight to catch so she can't watch her."

"Sure anything for you bro"

~

Josie and Derek have been out for hours and Chris is still at work in a meeting which means I'm stuck at home with two screaming girls.

I sat in the couch thinking about things. Then my mind went directly to Damien.  I decided to call him.

"Hello?" Damien answered

"Hey Damien it's Alison"

"Hey Ali what's up"

"Not much I'm at home babysitting Aaliyah and Savannah while Derek and Josie are out"

There was silence.

"Are you there?" I asked

"Um yeah. Look Ali I have to go"

"I know you do but Damien please don't avoid this. I know this is probably none of my business but Josie is heartbroken that Aaliyah doesn't have her actual father here. Aaliyah has also been asking about you."

"Really?"

"Yes. Look Josie and Derek shouldn't be back for another two hours so if you wanna stop by I guess you could. It would also mean a lot to Aaliyah."

"Alright I'll stop by in ten minutes"

Something told me this was a bad idea.

About fifteen minutes later Damien did as he said.

"Hey Alison" Damien said as he hugged me

"Hey come in"

"So where are the girls?" Damien asked

"I don't know their probably upstairs running" I said

"Oh ok I guess I'll just wait for them to come downstairs"

"No I'll go call them"

I finally came downstairs with both girls

"Savannah go say hi to your uncle Damien" I said and she did as I said. Aaliyah was standing there a little shy with her doll in her hand.

"Aaliyah don't you wanna say hi to your daddy" I said looking down at her.

She didn't respond and just stood there until Damien came up to her.

"Hey princess how are you?" Damien said to her.

"Daddy I missed you" Aaliyah said to him

"I know princess I promise to never leave you again ok." Damien said

Aaliyah nodded then yawned. It was almost eleven at night. The girls were supposed to be in bed.

"Alright girls I have to get you to bed" I said "Savannah say bye to your uncle"

Savannah said bye and went upstairs while Damien and Aaliyah were talking about small things.

"Hey Damien I have to get her to bed" I said

"Aunt Ali,  can daddy tuck me into bed please?" Aaliyah asked.

Damien and Aaliyah looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Ok sure but please hurry I don't want Josie to see you here. It would be awkward since you guys haven't talked."

Damien went upstairs with Aaliyah to tuck her into bed. I stayed downstairs and went into the kitchen to get a drink of water.

Seconds later I heard a door shut and went out to see who it was. Unfortunately it wasn't who I wanted to see at this very moment.  Josie and Derek were back. How was I going to tell them that Damien was here?

"Hey guys how was your date?" I asked calmly

"It was great but I'm exhausted" said Josie

"So am I we're going to sleep" Derek said

As they were going upstairs I heard a door close and I knew it was Damien. I looked up to see all three of them staring at each other.