1

Tyrell

"What you want?" I ask this bald-headed lil girl.

The lil girl's eyes widen at my harsh tone. "C-Can I get the spicy chicken s-sandwich?"

"Damn, yall don't like our chicken combos no mo?!" I question harshly. Ever since we dropped the chicken sandwiches, that's all people order. It's upsetting me and my co-workers. "Anything else?"

"A large sprite and that's it." She responds.

"Ight, yo total is $10.50." I tell her.

She digs in her pocket and retrieves a 20. Handing it to me, I type the amount into the machine. I gather her change together along with her receipt and then I hand it to her. The lil girl moves over to the pick-up station. Next in line is Briana's bothersome ass.

"Popeyes workers stay moody as hell." She comments.

"And Chick-fil-a not open on Sundays," I clapback, "Are we done?"

"Un un, don't do us! It's only respectful for the Lord to be praised solo on his day!" Bri retorts.

"And it's only respectful to feed his people after they get done praising him." I respond.

She rolls her eyes, knowing I won the argument. "Boy shut up and clock out so we can go."

I snicker as I take out my phone. We have an app we can use to manage our working schedules. I clock out before walking around the corner. "Let's go." I said.

Bri and I leave Popeyes. We get in her bright blue Nissan Sentra. I don't have my own car yet because it's hard to pay off my college tuition, house bills, and save for a car at the same time. So I let my mom take the car to work, while Bri drops me off and picks me up from both work and school.

She pulls out of her parking spot. Then, she exits the lot and drives into the main road. I plug the aux cord into my phone. I put on "No Transportin" by Kodak. We Floridans, so we always gone ride for Kodak.

"Pockets so fat, call me Orbit, Norbert,
Ain't gotta wait to make no moves cause I be loaded,"

My pockets have nun but oxygen molecules in em. I hate being broke.

"Ain't gotta wait to make no moves cause I be loaded."

"While you out here drinking 40s, I just tote it."

"Still that same nigga in a foreign, but it's stolen."

He be confessing to all kinds of crimes in his music. As soon as he steps one foot out of jail, he going back in for these crimes right here.

Suddenly, I get a notification from FAMU, reminding me about my upcoming tuition fee. I clench my teeth. I don't receive my paycheck until next Friday and my mom needs to save up for the light bill. Shit...

Briana glances at my phone and then gives me a sympathetic look. Homegirl can't relate to my struggle at all. Her dad is a surgeon and her mom is a dentist. Money was put aside for her tuition from the jump.

"I gotchu, Rell." Bri tells me.

I look at her like she's crazy. "No the hell you don't." I know that Bri has the money to help me, but I can't accept her help. How will I repay her?

"I got this." I lied.

"Obviously you don't." She responds with an eye roll. "Imma make sure that your fee is paid and that's a promise."

I suck my teeth. There's no point in arguing with black girls. They always get their way.

《Time Skip》