Chapter 6

The next weeks, everything was going fine, more than ever actually. Castiel has been coming over more, and Sam had been going to the houses of his friends, and was really excited to be invited for a party of one of his friend's birthdays. Dean smiled at Sam's excitement, happy Sam could live the life he deserved right now. Even John was doing fine, for his being. Sure, he kept coming home late and drunk but he didn't make such a mess as he used to.

Dean kept a rhythm in his life of going to school every day and working in the weekends. On Saturday, Castiel comes by and goes home before John comes back. Sometimes, they hang out on school days, Castiel helping Sam with his homework or talking about books they read while Dean makes dinner.

Sam is as happy as ever when Castiel comes by, greeting Dean and walking straight towards Sam. He knows how much the boy loves reading, but he also knows Dean can't afford to buy many books. Since Dean doesn't skip school and only works in the weekends, and sometimes after school, they needed all the money he gets.

Sam looked up; saying hey to Castiel, wondering what Castiel is caring with him. Castiel dropped the plastic bag in Sam's lap. "That's for you," he said, smiling.

"Oh my..." Sam fell silent as he opened the bag, not knowing what to say. "Dean!" he yelled. "Dean, look what I got!"

Dean, having his instincts, runs out of the kitchen as soon as he hears Sam yelling. He finds an overly happy Sam and a smiling Castiel.

"Dean, I have the full Harry Potter series, look!" Castiel explained to Sam how he saw him reading it, and since he has read the whole series twice already, he decided to give them to Sam.

Dean's heart melted immediately. "Thanks so much," Sam said to Castiel before opening the second book of the series. Dean lets him read, he'll do Sam's homework later.

"Thanks," he said to Castiel when they return to the kitchen.

"No problem, I found out he has only read the first book and I hate it when I can only read one book of a series so I thought I'd give him all the books." Dean can't help but keep smiling as he makes dinner. Once again, he is happy he befriended Castiel.

During dinner they chat, Sam happier than usual, this also makes Dean a lot happier. Castiel notices how Dean's mood is based on Sam's. When Sam doesn't feel good, Dean doesn't pay attention in class, leaving right after school to pick up Sam, taking care of him. When Sam is angry, Dean looks sad the whole day. When Sam is happy, Dean can enjoy things without having to worry about Sam.

Suddenly Sam dropped the bomb. "You know, mom would've really liked you, Castiel," he said.

A dead silence fell and Dean's smile is gone. Castiel didn't know what to say, he assumed their mom was either gone, or dead. They never talk about her. Not that they talk about their dad much, but he hasn't even heard the word 'mom' in any of their conversations. "I'm sorry," Sam almost whispers. Its silent for another minute, and suddenly Dean started talking.

"Our mom, she is...." He couldn't finish it, but Castiel knew what he meant. "a house fire, I was 9, Sammy 5 years old." Dean explains. He doesn't know what else to say, but Castiel gives him a small smile, letting him know he doesn't have to say anything. He nods, and they finish dinner.

After reading a few chapters in his books, Sam goes to bed and before Dean closes the door, he tells Sam one more thing: "You're right, Sammy, she would."

Returning back to the kitchen, Dean gets Sam's bag and takes the homework out. As he and Castiel talked some more, he did Sam's homework. When Castiel had to go home, Dean thanked him once again for the books. "I think you made his whole week."