Red Poppy

Jasper left after a few hours saying that his uncle wanted him to come back home before night time to talk about things. I wondered what they would talk about and if Jasper was going to talk about his sister, or even maybe what he and I have been up to.

I jump in the shower while my thoughts filled with what would happen tomorrow. We planned on going to Nathan's greenhouse tomorrow, and I was supposed to contact him to tell him of my intention to visit. I still could not find it in me to do so, so I procrastinated and kept telling myself I would ask him later.

I hiss in pain, realizing I had the heater turned on to the highest level. I quickly dial it down into a more comfortable temperature before I allow myself to think of Jasmine. I was so close now. So close to finding her, I could feel it. Yet- something inside of me is just screaming out warning after warning. I didn't know if it was telling me to drop the whole chase or warning me of what I may find at the end of it.

For a long time, I let the tears fall. All these months of searching and blaming myself feel like it was going to end. Although why was I so scared of it? Was it because when I was chasing and looking for her, I was sure she was alive. Now? I am so afraid of finding her...dead. I think of Jasper. The devastation in his eyes when he told me about his sister. I shake my head at the thought. It was high time we got the cops involved in this. This was a serial killer for goodness sake.

I turn off the shower and reach for my cell the moment I stepped out of the bathroom. I text Jasper to meet me outside of his house in 10 minutes because I wanted to discuss with him the possibility of getting his uncle involved. When I finished getting dressed I run down the stairs and out the house before my parents could ask me where I was going.

I stood in front of their driveway for a few minutes before finding the courage to walk up the front door. I knock and was surprised when his uncle answered.

"Hi, Sir, uhm is Jasper home?" I hated the way my voice sounded so nervous but hopefully, he didn't notice it. He stared at me for a long time that I started to feel more nervous before answering.

"He hasn't come home since he left this morning," he answers me and I felt the air leave my lungs. Without trying to alert him that there was something wrong I quickly find an excuse and take out my phone.

"Oh, he just texted me, sorry to bother you," I bow and leave quickly before he asks me any questions. My heart pumping inside my chest I run back to our front yard and dial Jasper's number. I get agitated when he doesn't answer. Where could he be? Something tells me I wouldn't like the answer.

I go back to my house and grab my jacket and car keys.

"Where are you going?" My mom asks me from her corner of the living room. I didn't know where yet so I shrugged.

"Out for a drive," I say and she raises an eyebrow at me. I waited until she looked back down on the book she was reading and I rush out the door. I hear her call out behind me as I stepped into my car to tell me to be home before dinner. I sigh, backing out the driveway and cursing Jasper.

There was only one place he would go and I reign in my anger knowing he lied to me about promising to go there together. I drive quickly, wanting to get there a few minutes after he does but I knew the moment I arrived I would be a little late. I think about what to do with him when I see him and shake my head. How could he even think of going there on his own?

I remember needing to ask Nathan for permission and turn my phone on, my eyes on the road before me. I type in Nathan's number and send him a quick message. I drive, trying to remember how to get to their summer house. I would get there in 2 hours tops. I hit the stirring wheel, cursing. Jasper would get their quicker on his motorbike. I was so angry I almost ran a red.