Rosemary

I felt like I couldn't take another bite when Jasper had started the story on how he and Jasmine had met.

It felt as though the whole cafe had gone silent when he opened his mouth and began to speak, a soft chuckle and a hand through his hair. Like he was embarrassed.

"I was sort of drunk, it was the day after valentines day." He began, his eyes were focused on something outside. Something tells me he was not just sort of drunk.

"I stumbled into this cafe, nana being accustomed to me doing so. No one else was here except for a certain girl with hair so bright it competed with the fire." He gives me a soft smile and I find myself smiling back. Jasmine really had such bright hair.

"I decided to take a seat somewhere far away but something about her at that moment made me want to take my chances," he shrugs. "So I went over to her and noticed she was carrying a small box of some kind. I mean, I knew her from school as the girl that was always with you, blondie. And really, who doesn't know you?"

The half grin on his face made me want to ask him why he knew me or how. I didn't really have a good reputation before Jasmine.

"The inseparable duo," he spread his hands wide then glanced at me. "At least that was what everyone seemed to think and I did too. I never really saw you without her in school which was probably the reason I sat by her table."

"Where is blondie? I had asked her and she seemed startled for a moment, as if she hadn't expected anyone to be at the cafe not because I was...well, Jasper." His fingers brush the brim of his coffee cup, his mind lost in his thoughts. I suddenly felt a strange sympathy for him. He had a reputation too but it hindered him from making any friends. I had Jasmine. A part of me was glad he had someone like her, too. He lets out a heavy breath, that sad smile again that made his eyes seem darker than they usually are.

"She surprised me, you know," he explains, leaning forward on the table that his hands were a breath away from where I placed mine. I felt the slight static like the air around are hands were too energized but I couldn't pull my hands away.

"She knew me, even smiled at me when she got her thoughts together," he chuckles, closing his eyes. "She even called me by my name...I knew she was named after a flower, never really thought much about it. When I saw her she was just red head and you were blondie."

I scowled at the nick name. At least I knew his name. I snap myself out of it. Was I really mad he didn't know my name?

"We talked and it was so weird because it felt like the easiest thing to do," his brows furrowed, like he was still confused about it. "It was easy talking to her or maybe it was the alcohol but either way I actually had fun. I usually have a hard time during Valentines day because-" he stops, his eyes flickering at me briefly and I saw something dark in them before he turned away. "Of what happened a long time ago."

I wondered if it was a bad break up or perhaps a girl rejected him which was why he became such a player. Either way, I found myself curious about the boy in front of me. Which was bordering on dangerous territory.

"Jasmine made me feel at ease, you know?"

I nodded. I knew. She made me feel that way, too.

"She was so open and kind," his eyes stared at his cup of coffee like it held all the answers. "She reminded me of someone I used to...know."

Ah. A lost love? I nodded to myself. I felt like I finally found all the reasons. Well, if he was serious about Jasmine then I guess I could give him a chance if we ever find her.