Chapter 37

They finished up their study session as moonlight started to creep into the windows. The lanterns glowed above them, and Mikky was barely managing to stay awake in her new seat atop the large bookshelf behind them.

Akeno was seated on a stack of her own and Sarah was still sitting in her chair along with Shiva who was still across from her. As they stood up, Sarah began picking up her books before she paused, glancing at her right hand before smiling gently and turning back towards her books.

She waved her hand in front of herself and the books quickly began picking themselves up, fluttering like birds before launching themselves back into their correct spots on the shelves. Akeno hopped off her stack with a grin, spinning around and rubbing her tail across them and they too joined the others in flight, putting themselves away.

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprise that you know magic." Sarah noted, glancing to Akeno.

"That's a simple spell and one of the first most mages learn. Cleaning up is far easier when you don't have to do it." Akeno grinned.

Mikky hopped off her shelf and yawned with a very cat-like stretch and mewl. "Shall we be off then? We can pick this up in the morning."

"How many books did you get through? Four?" Sarah questioned.

"Twelve." Mikky answered, pointing up to the bookshelf above her where more stacks of books were left up there as Mikky handed Sarah another book before walking past her.

The mage glanced down at the cover before spinning around and pointing to it. "This is in Sumarian!"

"Yep."

Akeno raised a curious eyebrow before waving the books down. They floated down so she could read the covers before she waved them back into their places. She wore a playful smile as she turned back to the group realizing that Mikky had most certainly lied about how many languages she knew.

She supposed living alone in the woods gave her plenty of free time, though she was very impressed with how many different languages she did know. Or at least pretended to know.

Sarah snatched another one out of the air as it was returning to it's place. "And Gaelic?"

"Aye." Mikky grinned over her shoulder. "Are you guys coming? I'm tired."

"How many languages do you know!?" Sarah asked following after her and allowing that book to return to the shelf.

"I don't know."

"You said you barely know Common!"

"I didn't lie." Mikky answered. "I barely know Common. But I'm fluent in a few others."

Sarah groaned loudly as Akeno and Shiva chuckled and followed after them.

"Do you guys have a place to stay?" Sarah asked.

"We were going to head back to the tavern for now." Mikky explained. "We'll meet you back here tomorrow?"

"That sounds-"

Sarah was very shocked when the cat drew her swords and dashed forwards, parrying an arrow out of the sky and taking a defensive stance in front of the mage facing the street.

Akeno quickly summoned flames of her own and slapped away another few arrows before standing in front of Shiva who drew her own sword.

"What's happening?!" Sarah asked.

"Ambush! What does it look like!?" Mikky retorted. She yelped when Sarah grabbed the back of her armor and yanked her back pushing her palm out forwards and sending a blast of blue magic forward, shattering a cart and throwing a young man across the ground.