Chapter 6

Mikky tied her horse up at the stable just outside Minerva's orphanage. A young man came up to her carrying a bale of hay over his shoulder which he set in front of the horse. He even helped the cat take off the saddle and leave it on a rack by the stall door. He then handed her a key to the stall itself so Mikky could retrieve her horse at any time.

"I'm assuming I'm not the only one with a key?" Mikky questioned.

"No. The three stable hands have master keys." The man noted. "But we only enter for care purposes."

"Who are the other stable hands?" Mikky questioned, glancing around the large stable.

It was decorated sparsely, with barrels and boxes and stacks of hay. There were a few saddle racks lining the main hall with stalls on both sides of the barn itself. There didn't seem to be anyone else inside however. The entire interior was made of a light wood with darkened accents lining the pillars and edges of each gate and pillar.

"They aren't here at the moment. But I'm sure you'll see them soon." He shrugged. He didn't step away like he was waiting to be dismissed, but didn't seem to have anything more to discuss.

Mikky took note that he clearly had more to say, but certainly didn't want to and waved him off as she turned away from the stall and headed down the main walkway of the barn towards the front door.

Akeno glanced behind her at the young man who turned and headed off into a different stall, grabbing hold of a shovel. "Do you trust him?" The fox questioned.

"No. I don't trust anyone, and you'd be wise not to trust anyone either."

"Even you?"

"Especially me." Mikky answered. "As soon as I get the chance you and I are parting ways."

"To be honest, I don't think a Goddess should be associated with a thief."

"I thought you said I'm the Fate Weaver?"

"That may be so, but you still use your skills for yourself, so that still makes you a thief."

Mikky smirked, clearly glad she was getting under the fox's skin. She headed into the city streets and made her way towards the market stalls, her eyes darting across the tapestries overtop the stalls and shops, taking note of which ones possessed the King's Seal. She found a few, and kept their location in the back of her mind.

"What is it that you're doing then? There are a few shops right there with the crest."

"If I just barge in right away then it's much more likely that I'll get caught. I'm sure I could handle myself, but it makes more sense for me to go in and look around for an easy way in later." Mikky noted. She took note of a jewelry store and couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face as she headed in.

The store owner raised an eyebrow as she stared at some of the glass cases, running her fingers over the glass like she was in heaven looking at all the precious stones and metals.

"Can I help you?" He asked, clearly thinking that she was just looking at something she could never afford.

"I'm in the mood for something different." Mikky noted, glancing at him before looking back at the jewelry as she made her way around.

"I'm afraid I don't allow pets in my shop." He scoffed, glaring at her.

Mikky stood up straight, scratching under Akeno's chin as the fox's fur stood up on end, clearly insulted that someone would call her a simple pet. "I'll have you know, she's my most treasured possession. She's the smartest fox in the world."