Chapter 27

Alice Daybreaker moved her chess piece across the board before looking to the woman who was sitting across from her. The woman's eyes were a normal human brown and she had a gentle smile on her face as she stared at the game between them.

"You are going easy on me my Lady. For what reason do you have to do so?" The woman asked, moving one of her own pieces.

"I would do no such thing." Alice answered, moving another piece.

The woman moved her piece again, and removed one of Alice's from the board. "You are letting me win."

"I would do no such thing." Alice repeated, moving another piece only to have the woman remove another piece of her's from the board.

"Check." The woman said, sliding her piece forward.

"Check Mate." Alice confessed, moving her rook across the board and removing the woman's king. "You did not pay attention as you cleared the space allowing me to move."

The woman chuckled with a smile. "I suppose not. I should remember how cunning you are my Lady."

"Shiva. My name is Alice."

"Lady Alice then."

"Just Alice."

The vision shifted again, to Alice and Shiva riding horses through a field, then again to them sitting in what was likely Alice's bedroom in front of a fire place while they just spoke of simple things like love and romance. Alice didn't seem to understand the questions, but she enjoyed it when Shiva went on and on about finding her soul mate.

Again the vision shifted to Shiva pinned against the wall by a young man who looked very similar to Alice in every way. Except where her eyes were disconnected, his were wild and crazed. He had Shiva by the neck with a sickening grin on his face as he chuckled at her frightened expression.

"You should bow when you walk past your gods."

"Forgive me, my lord." She managed, clearly struggling to speak as the air escaped her.

"What does my stupid sister teach you? You're a pet to her you know? She takes such good care of you and you worship the ground she walks on." He grinned. "Maybe you need to be knocked down a peg."

He went to reach up with his other hand, but was thrown off of Shiva. When he collected his footing, his chin ached from the blow. He looked up to see Alice staring at him, motioning for Shiva to stand behind her.

"You hit me?" Alex questioned, touching his face as he stared at Alice in shock.

"This servant is mine. You have plenty of other whores who are more than happy to entertain you. Leave this one alone." Alice snarled, her distant eyes filled with the same wild rage as her brother's.

Alex composed himself before grinning. "Father is going to enjoy this."

"Yes little brother. Return to father and tell him of how I put you in your place once again. Tell him that I punished you for overstepping your bounds, and tell him that your a coward who needs someone else to fight his battles." Alice retorted. "Return to your own pets. Lay another finger on mine again and I will break you." Alice's eyes flared with her threat, and Alex seemed to cringe, moving his hand to his chest like he felt an invisible pain course through him.

"Mind yourself dear sister. We wouldn't want you to get too overconfident, would we?" Alex growled before turning and stalking off.

Shiva took hold of Alice's arm, resting her head against the back of the vampire's shoulder. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

"Let's go back to my room." Alice told her, turning and taking Shiva's wrist where she dragged her back down the hall.

Once again the vision changed. This time to an older man standing and facing Alice with his fingers wrapped around Shiva's neck. Alice stood before him, her hands clenched into fists as she glared at her father.