Chapter Forty-Two: An end, beginning, and dream eater

Thane pulled the key from the ignition of his car as he stopped midway in the driveway leading up to the house of one certain demigod named Alex.  He opened the car door, swinging his legs out then standing, and closed the door behind him.  He went to the truck, opening it to show but a handful of boxes containing photos, books, and other miscellaneous items.

It had been a week since Carol turned mortal, and Darcie and the other two dark angels ran off to who knows where without a word goodbye.  It had been roughly six day since the reapers began repairs on the Observatory, temporarily kicking out their children in the process.  It had been six days since Alex offered them a place to stay with him, an offer they all, eventually, accepted gratefully.  It had been three days since Thane, Era, and Mo had last seen their reaper parents at the Observatory, of which they had warned them that their jobs as demi-reapers weren’t done simply because of the return of the dark angels; however, Thane didn’t take this as a rude reminder but rather a step toward their version of normality.  This, though, was the last day of which he was to go to the Observatory, he was the last one to gather his things from his room there.  This was the day he, Era, and Mo took a step toward a new type of normality, one the included keeping their roles as demi-reapers and living amongst mortals.  A first step for sure.

The idea of living amongst mortals, actually people, and not as their shadows, filled him with a type of anxious excitement that was completely new.  Looking down at the boxes that contained but the few pieces of his life at the Observatory reminded Thane of this somewhat new start for himself, Era, and Mo.  God knows they deserved that much, a chance for a mortal life.  At least he thought so.  

He grabbed the first two boxes, stacking them on top of each other and began toward Alex’s house.  He reached the door, no hands available, and kicked at it.  After several moments, Mo opened the door wearing a grey shirt with a faded Batman symbol, dark jeans, and but a mere pair of socks.  Any wound the demi-reaper had obtained was just a simple scab on his skin, while any bruise was now faded.  The same applied to Thane.

Thane pushed the boxes into Mo’s arms, turned before he could protest, and ran to his car, grabbing the remaining boxes.  He re-met Mo at the front door, now both holding a stack of boxes.

Thane rolled his eyes with a slight smile at his death brother’s annoyance, “Come on, our room!”

Mo groaned and began to lug rightward toward a guest room with two twin beds, a room Alex said was there for his step-brothers, but now was to be Thane and Mo’s shared room.  Something neither of them really cared too much about.

Thane followed Mo into the room.  The walls were a cream color, the bedspread a simple white, something Thane could appreciate, and the walls bare except for a couple of paintings of the African plains and animals.  The trucks that held the entireties of Mo and Thane’s closets sat at the foot of each of their beds; meanwhile, cardboard boxes, like the ones they carried, sat randomly around the room marked in sharpie with either a T or M.

Mo placed the boxes he held on the floor besides the bed to the left, Thane’s bed.  He immediately turned to his own bed to the right and dove onto the bedspread, ruining whatever look of neatness the room had once held.

Thane stared at him, dumbfounded for a moment.  “Why?” he asked shortly.

Mo laid on top of the bed, back up against the headboard and arms crossed.  He smiled deviously, “What?  You have to accept your ‘everything in its spot’ way isn’t gonna work with me around.”

Thane placed the boxes he held beside the ones Mo had carried in.  “I do not have a way.” he protested sitting on the edge of his own bed.

Mo laughed at the idea, “You’re forgetting that I’ve seen your room at the Observatory, it almost reeks of clean freak.”