Chapter Thirty-Eight: Husband and Wife

David raced upstairs to the building’s roof access.  He opened the door and watched as Carol turned toward him from her place on the roof’s edge, her wings folded and the Divine Sword in hand.

“Is she dead yet?” Carol asked flatly.

David unsheathed Leto as he began toward her.  “No, and she won’t die.  Not while I still live.”

Carol sighed turning toward him and walking away from the roof’s edge.  “I married such a determined man, didn’t I?”

David scoffed, “Why did you?  You weren’t surprised by me being here, that I survived the hospital explosion you set.  Tell me, Carol, why did you say yes?”

Carol smiled, “You wouldn’t believe me if I said that I loved you, would you?”

“Not in the slightest.”

“Good.” she said shortly, “It was to keep you close.  I knew of Jaron, I knew of his danger.  When I learned of your revival I decided you needed a leash.” she inspected her nails, “Mortal marriage was a benefit.” she looked to him, “And you?  Why did you ask?”

David shook his head slowly, “You once reminded me of Adria.” he said, “But it would be an insult to her memory to say that you still do.”

Carol smiled, “But was indeed fun while it lasted, my dear David.”

“I really do hate you.” David scowled.

“Oh really?” Carol laughed.

David’s grip on Leto tightened, “You will have killed our once shared daughter if Darcie dies.”

“Darcie.” Carol hissed, “She lies to you with such a name, you know that she is truly Damaris and cannot be treated like an innocent in this.”

David swung Leto through the air in front of him, “I don’t care.  if she dies, Carol, so will you.”

“How do you plan to kill an Angel of the Light, my dear husband?”

David smiled, “Let’s see shall we?”

Carol laughed, “Oh this shall be interesting.” she swung the Divine Sword.  “I will not spare you with a quick death.”

“I know.” David said shortly.  

He dashed forward, Leto tight in his hand.  He swung forward toward Carol, she jumped upward flying overhead before landing behind him.  She swung, David turned in time to catch the Divine Sword’s edge with Leto.  He felt a wave of electricity run through Leto into his own body, he ached at the energy.

“God’s Blade, David.” Carol reminded him, “The powers of all the Heavens are contained within this blade.”

“Only its keeper may truly wield...wield such power, surely you know that.” he groaned from the wave of electricity emitted from the Divine Sword.  He stumbled back toward the roof’s edge.

Carol sighed, “I perhaps will miss you in my pure world, David.”

He looked back towards the roof’s edge.  “I hope you’re not planning to offer me a place in your new world...”

Carol shook her head and smiled almost amused.  “I was saying that I may become lonely, David, not that I am desperate.”

“Good.” he muttered, “Because I would hate to be rude and decline such an offer.”

Carol looked at him, her eyes narrowed until David could sense the coldness he had felt a domestic fear of during their mortal, married years.  “You see, David.” she began walking toward him slowly.  “While I married you to keep you from causing me trouble, you married me because perhaps you actually loved me.” she said softly.  “Because I reminded you of the only woman I realize you will perhaps ever, truly love with your entire being.  So greatly that your soul was brought back when she was destined to walk this world once more.”