Chapter Twenty-Two: Terrible News From A Demigod

Era waited quietly in one of the chairs that sat in Alex's living room.  Thane opened the door of guest bedroom; he had claimed he and Alex had a way to possibly bring a little light to the question of Darcie's dreams or visions, but he had promised to only go through with it if Darcie agreed.

She looked over at Mo, the only sign of life was the faint rise and fall of his chest.  Unlike their parents, Demi-Reapers actually needed to breath.  

Era brought her knees up to her chest and hugged her legs.  They had all been injured at one point or another, at least once each of them had come close to death, but this was the closest time any of them had been to actually dying.  She hated waiting like there was nothing she could do, like Mo's life depended on his strength alone and all she could do was pray and hope for the best.

"Era." Thane said.

Era looked toward him, she let go if her legs and brought her feet to the ground.  "What lil' Darcie say."

"She agreed." He said shortly.

Era stretched her arms, "Tell me you acted at least a little nicer than usual."

Thane gave a short laugh, "Yeah, I showed respect to the princess." he faked a bow.

"Uh huh." she muttered, "So she said yes."

"Yeah, but I told her she had to wait a bit.  She needs to get a little rest before Alex looks into her mind."

Era nodded in agreement, "So, has Alex explained how he plans to understand Darcie's dreams, her visions."

Thane shook his head, "Nothing other than the abilities he has as a Demigod, though he did tried to explain the science behind it and lost me in the process.”

She sighed, “That’s comforting.  Alex himself doesn’t bother me but his powers do, his abilities that are unknown to us.”

Thane smirked, “Yeah.  Reaper magic, death, even the stuff about the Vlade Bellum I’m cool with but Gods...I’d like to stay away from them as much as possible, thank you very much.  Even their kids.”

“Even if I’m trying to help you?” Alex asked from the kitchen.

Era turned her head and looked over the back of the chair at Alex.  He had changed from his blood stained grey shirt to a new white T-shirt with a colorful surfing logo on the front; he held a cup of tea as he was against coffee, that much she remembered about him.

“Got any coffee?” Thane asked eyeing his tea.

Alex nodded, “A...cousin of mine was here about three weeks back, he purposely brought coffee so there might be some left in one of the cabinets...seeing as he didn’t take what was left with him.”

Thane nodded and headed to the kitchen to look for coffee.  Era had heard Darcie question him about how much sleep he had gotten in the past few days and Era had to agree with her, she knew eventually Thane wouldn’t be able to operate on coffee alone.

She looked from Thane to Alex, “So when you say cousin of yours...”

“Another Demigod.” he said shortly, “One of the Minor Light God’s sons, he stopped by to ask if I want to do a job with him which I said no to but told him he could stay with me until he was done.”

Era smiled and gave a partial nod knowing that Demigods who embraced their godly side tended to call each other cousin as each of them were related in some godly way.

In the Demigod community only certain Demigods embraced their godly side which lead to them taking quests or jobs that related to a monster gone rogue.  Others rejected it completely and eventually would blend into the mortal community denying they had ever had knowledge of the true world and it’s secrets.  Then there were the Demigod who fell between the line of embrace and rejection, Demigods like Alex who took a job now and again but also had a place in the mortal community and world; sometime a Demi-Reaper like her could never had.