Chapter Ten: A Meeting Between Unknown Enemies

Era’s eyes flickered open, she smiled as two boys stood by the doorway to her room.  

    “I’m glad Darcie was able to find you guys.” she murmured.

    They turned toward her, Era froze.  She jumped out of the bed and reached into her pocket but found she no longer wore her clothes but rather a hospital gown.  She turned around looking for something that could be used as a weapon, she grabbed the pole that usually held an IV bag.  She spun it in her hands and looked at the two boys.

The one to the left had dark blond hair that hung in his eyes, grey eyes, pale skin, and stood at about 5 foot 11; he wore a black t shirt, a pair of faded jeans, and a pair of tennis shoes while a dark cord and a cross pendant went around his neck.  She knew him as Lucifer Tomb.

The boy to the right had dark brown hair that was cut short, pale green eyes, pale skin, and stood at about 5 foot 9; he wore a grey shirt, black jacket, a pair of torn jeans, dark boots, and a dark cord that had a dice shaped pendant.  She knew him to be Natrix Lethal, Trix for short.

Luc smiled, “My love, I’m sorry we did not announce ourselves but we want to make sure your condition did not worsen”

Trix smirked, “Ernestine Shade.  It’s been a while” he said crossing his arms.

“Not long enough” she scowled.

    “You shouldn’t stand” a girl said.

    Era felt a cold sweat go down her back as she saw Kali out of the corner of her eye.  “Why...why are you here?” Era stuttered.

Kali walked to stand in front of Era, “No reason really.  Well, we need you to lead us to your friend...Darcie, is it?  She’s become quite a piece in this game of chess”

“This isn’t a game, and even if it was, we’re on the same team...aren’t we?” Era questioned.

“Yes, or should be, I’ll agree with that, but I’m afraid your parents have crossed a line.  Broken a Law of Death, so we’ve been told” Kali said, “We now have control of the continental US”

“I guess that means you’re on our turf now” Luc smiled.

“Shut up” she scowled, “Why is Darcie so important?  She’s just a mortal, a normal teenager”

Kali sighed, “I, myself, can’t seem to find anything that makes her special, but either way, we were given orders to retrieve the girl you brought to the Observatory.  That girl Reaper Elvira let slip away.  Our parents want her, Era, and they’re willing to burn down everything in their path looking for her”

“Why?” Era winced as pain went through her body; she felt her posture slip as every part of her ached, but her grip on the pole remained firm.

“We take orders, we’re obedient soldiers; just like you, Thane, and Mo.  Only we take orders from a higher power” she smiled.

“We all fight for the same reasons, for the safety of mortals, Kali”

Kali smirked while Luc and Trix both began to laugh, “You think that’s why we do this job?  This job that’s Hell to everyone who’s cursed to do it?  No, it’s for power, Era, it’s what keeps everyone and everything moving forward.  For centuries mortals have gone to war for nothing more than to keep their egos, or increase them.  You really think we want to save them?  Sure, souls are good target practice but think.  We could be doing so much more”

Trix cleared his throat, “Oh, I almost forgot” she said, “Trix” she looked back at him.

Trix smiled taking out the stone in his pocket, he threw it up where it became a double headed spear.  He caught it as it came back down and held it, he walked forward toward Era.