84

Lexa and Lincoln had been waiting the whole time for a call. But when it started to get late, they both realised it wouldn’t come anymore. Lexa let her head fall against the pillow, eyes pointed at the ceiling while they started to fill with tears. She had no idea how Clarke was doing there. Why didn’t she call her? Was she mad at her for not saying anything to the police it was her and not Clarke who stabbed Costia? She had the right to be. Lincoln got up from the chair and laid his hand on Lexa’s shoulder. “She’ll call tomorrow.” He said. “That’s what you said about today too.” Lexa said and her voice was shaking with the effort she put in to not cry in front of her brother. “I know but she will call, Lexa. It’s only been a day.” 
“It should’ve been me who’s up there and not her. She’s innocent. She has the kindest heart of everyone. She shouldn’t be there. Why do I ruin the lives of the people I love.” Lexa said and she couldn’t hold back the tears anymore. They ran down her cheek onto the pillow and Lincoln moved the chair closer to the bed. He sat down again and held Lexa’s hand. “You don’t ruin their lives, Lexa. You bring life into their lives. If you ask Clarke that, she would agree with me. She loves you so much. You can’t let her down now.” Lincoln said and Lexa’s eyes shot at him. “I would never.” She said and Lincoln nodded. “I know but you need to stay strong because of her. I had to operate you again, Lexa. You need to control yourself to get better. That’s what Clarke wants.” 
“I bet that all she wants now is to get out of there.” Lexa said and she tried to get up from the bed. She groaned when she felt pain shoot through her wound. Lincoln pushed her back to the bed and Lexa gave up with a sigh. “What do you think you’re doing?!” Lincoln asked. “Taking my responsibility. I stabbed Costia, not Clarke. I should be there, not Clarke. I’m going to call the police and tell them everything that happened.” Lexa said and she made attempts to get up again but Lincoln  held her back. “And that’s going to lead to what?! You in prison? Pike still walking around like a free fucking bird?! We can’t change stories now, Lexa. If you do that and we testify against Pike later, the judges won’t believe a shit of what we’re saying. We need to stick to it and testify against Pike. It was self defence.” Lincoln said and Lexa shook her head. “It wasn’t self defence Lincoln. It wasn’t. She was trying to help me.” Lexa said and a fresh pair of tears ran down her cheeks again. “She shot you.” 
“She shot Clarke. She didn’t shot me. I just took it for Clarke.” 
“That’s the same. She was about to kill someone.” 
“And it ended up me killing someone. What makes me better than her then?” Lexa said and her breath started to quicken again. “You did it out of love Lexa.” 
“She did too. She loved me. She did it because she loved me.” Lexa said and she took a shaky breath at the realisation of what she had done. “Lexa you fucking took a bullet. Voluntarily because you love Clarke. You rather died than that something bad would’ve happened to Clarke. That’s love!” Lincoln said and it seemed to calm down Lexa because her breath started to slow down again. She didn’t say anything and just stared at the ceiling. “Can you get my phone?” She asked after a while. “No Lexa. I’m not going to let you call the police. It’s not what-” 
“I’m going to text Kane.” Lexa interrupted Lincoln who looked at her surprised but did hand her over the phone.