28 - Autumn Nostalgia

Start from the beginning

"Oh, trust me,~" The shave-haired guy portrays a fake-demure-like annoying girl. "The fact that she landed a blow on you, Tsukishima-kun no baka, she's a savage!" I laugh out aloud. Dissing the Smart-ass Tsukishima must be a success for them. Hot savages. "Kick some asses sometimes, Yukizome-san!"

Then they both leave as if they hit a lottery jackpot.

Seconds later, coming out from the exit of the gym, the third years are now on his way to us.

"Yukizome-san!" It's Koushi-senpai. "I see that you're full of energy. And why you're still here late?"

"I was in the library," I answer, smiling.

"Correction. She is married with the library," Kei stresses the two words, being all impassive.

I give him a sidelong glance before reverting my gaze to the team's vice-captain. "Don't mind him, mom, I think our Tsukishima here is just jealous over the library."

I made a joke, but he only frowns. It's not funny? "Wait . . . Did I hear it right? She calls me what?"

Sawamura-senpai and Asahi-senpai both laugh meaningfully, and only drag the team mom away.

"Should I laugh about that part?" Kei asks while getting himself a drink as well.

"IDK." I shrug as I start to walk. I'm hungry and this drink isn't enough. "But all I know, I've scored a point on you."

A brow is curved up, indicating a slightly amuse towards me. "Okay, I guess I'd let you have that." Then he follows my pace.

We are just walking together, taking the same road that leads to our designated home.

And before reaching home, we dropped by the convenience store. As we buy snacks, I can't help but think that the VB team is dismissed earlier than they should be.

Then Kei tells me the answer. "Quarterfinals and semi-finals are tomorrow. Ukai-san wants us to have full rest."

I'm marveled at that thought. It's the quarterfinals and semi-finals we're talking to! They have come this far and I should be cheering them! "I wanna watch!"

Kei faces me with a straight, dull face— "NO." —trying to rub the caps-locked word to my face.

"Why not? I'm good at cheering, so you know."

"Because if you'd come," he says with his unremarkable bored voice, "I'd cry."

"Aw." I feel flattered that I have to catch my heart from falling. "I get it, you'd cry because I'm the sweetest person alive to support y'all baby crows."

"Yeah, I'd cry out of disappointment."

I hold myself for a second, only staring at him with an indifferent expression. He gives me a smug look. I squint my eyes, feeling offended. "Salty witch," I only mutter, my lips barely move.

He only chuckled as he walks towards the cashier. "1-1, L-oser."

We paid for the snacks and exited after. The road back home is quite scary, no one's straying around this eerie area except us.

Mental note: I shouldn't come home this late.

I'm secretly glad that I run into Kei.

But before we even made a step away from the store, Kei brings up a topic. "You've mentioned it to me last time, but you made a promise to tell me your secrets."

My eyes meet his, holding the gaze for a couple of seconds, before I peel the plastic of my sandwich. Taking a bite, I sit down on the seats provided. This will take long, I could predict.