Chapter forty

My eyes pop open, confusion spilling into my thoughts. My vision is blurry as my head spins. There is a sour taste in my mouth, a metallic flavor. Am I bleeding? It takes a few moments for my body to regain control over my limbs. I stay still on the floor, eyes rolling around the room. 

I stare at the ceiling, my thoughts all scrambled.

My lips part slightly, my eyebrows raising. I died. I took the poison? How? 

I think hard. It must've gotten swapped. I let out a sigh of relief. Nobody was hurt. 

I prop myself on my knees, my head bobbing for a moment. Finally my eyes focus and I see Zane. 

His eyebrows are scrunched together and he looks deep in thought. He paces quickly back and forth a few feet away from me. He doesn't notice me. His jacket is undone, following him in his wake. He has his hands shoved into his pants pockets.

"Zane?" I finally groan out. His eyes snap towards mine and he is at my side in an instant, crouching down to check my eyes. "H-How?" My words are foreign on my lips. 

He holds up a small empty bottle, red residue coats the sides like wine. The bottle is similar to the vial of poison I once had, but this one is bigger. 

"Vampire blood." Is his grunt response.

My eyes widen. Vampire blood is very rare here. Vampires hate werewolves and always will. That means he probably doesn't have a lot... and he used it to save me.

"I-I'm alive." I stutter out, relief washing over me.

I look around the room, the plates have been smashed to pieces. Broken glass is scattered all over the floor. The curtains on the windows have been shredded to pieces, giving a full view to the raging storm outside. Lightning flashes in the room, making his figure look like a deadly monster ready to devour its prey. 

"I don't understand." He finally says, standing himself up. He towers over my figure, those dark eyes burning into me like a heat lamp. "You poisoned me? You poisoned yourself?" He spits out, running his fingers through his messy hair. 

His demeanor is conflicted. Angry. Confused. Hurt that I betrayed him. I feel a prick in my heart. I push myself off the ground, closing my eyes for a moment until the spinning in my head stops. My body trembles slightly from my weight, or from the rage I am about to face. 

"I had to." I whisper out, terrified of his anger. 

"You tried to kill me! I shouldn't have even saved you!" he roars, getting closer to my face. I wince, stepping back. 

Then why did he? 

"I-I" I search for words but find none. I have no excuse. I tried to kill him. He steps towards me again, I retreat back. My back hits the wall. 

He brings his hands up to rest at both sides of my head, his eyes pinning me down. I want to push him away, to run far and never look back. It was a mistake coming back. If I would have just stayed in the Pioneer pack then I would have never had to poison him. I would never have seen Cole again. 

"Did you know?" He speaks slowly, his tone is deathly calm. I furrow my eyebrows together, confused. 

"Know what?" I choke out, stepping on eggshells not to anger him further.

He slams his hand on the wall beside my ear. I jump in the air, squeezing my eyes shut. 

"Did you know?" His voice booms out, shaking the walls. 

The look in his eyes is crazed. His irises hold confusion, anger, and fear. What is he scared of? 

Zane is beyond complicated. One minute he is dark and dangerous, the next he can be so soft and caring. One wrong move and he is out to kill you once again. He is a man I both fear and... I don't know the rest. But when his rage overtakes him, that's when the storm really becomes a hurricane. 

"K-know what?" my words are so small, terrified of the man in front of me. 

There is another bolt of lightning, illuminating his darkest features. The shadows in his face appear darker, his cheekbones sucking in. The small glimpse of light shows his eyes of terror. 

"Our fate." He speaks out finally, his eyes melting into a deep pool of chocolate. He extends a slender finger towards me. He then touches me. His finger trails down my cheek slowly, a trail of sparks igniting my body. 

Everything changed when he touched me. It's as if I was brought back to life again. I let out a small gasp, my eyes growing bigger than the moon. The wolf inside me growls out, awakening with the sparks. 

Zane is my mate. 

He steps back, letting me catch my breath. I don't dare look at him in the eyes. How is this even possible? My head spins in circles as I try to process this information. 

How? 

My eyes widen as I remember Cole. He told me there were things I didn't know, the reason I went into heat. The reason I was brought back here. I felt a pull towards Zane. He had felt it too. It all makes sense. 

"Oh" Is all that I can say as I stare at my fingers that are clasped together at my waist. 

I bite my lip, looking around the room for a second. I bend my ankle, testing out the sizing in my tall heels. 

This isn't going to end well. 

A crack of thunder saves me. Zane turns around at the sudden noise, looking out the window. The tension is broke and I take the opportunity to jump out of my shoes. 

Then I run. 

Barefooted down the hallway as fast as my legs will carry me. Out of the room as fast as lightning. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leave me a comment! Don't forget to vote!!