Chapter nineteen

Warm bodies sway in the crowd to the sweet music. Once the lights dimmed, the songs that played were now soft and melodic. The white lights from the disco ball slowly glided across the walls.

Even with everybody in this room, I still feel alone. Standing at the bar, wine glass in my hand, I watch the crowd. I had to get a new glass, since my other became a murder scene on Atdaly's dress. Or I guess her name isn't Atdaly.

I turn back to the bar, swishing the deep red liquid in my glass until it forms a little tornado. Watching it swirl around and around my mind floats back to what the Fate said. If Zane didn't kill his mate, then who did? Who would murder an innocent girl?

Why would they cover it up?

"You look dazzling." I hear a purr behind me. The voice so close to my ear, sending chills down my spine.

Turning around slowly, I am met with the dark swirling eyes of my captor. He stands inches away from me, eyes raking up my body.

"I see the wannabe finally became Alpha." I mock, trying not to stare too long into those eyes. They're evil. They have the ability to pin you down on the floor and search through your soul.

"Indeed." he muses. Reaching out his hand gloved in silk he says, "Dance with me, Heidi."

"Uh, no." I stutter out, startled. Why would he want to dance with me?

Inching closer, eyes locking with mine, this time they hold a harder expression, "I insist."

I couldn't say no, he is an Alpha.

Bowing my head slightly in the presence of his dominance, I hesitantly place my hand in his. The silk that now clasps around my hand is cold.

He leads me out onto the dance floor, spinning me around and then placing a hand on the small of my back.

On command, the song changes to a different melody. A piano piece begins to fill the ballroom. All around us, other wolves grab hands with each other and begin to dance with us, just as I had realized nobody had been dancing since Zane approached me.

The music was fluid and graceful, just like Zane's movements. He lead me across the floor like an angel. My dress flowed around me as he spun me in a slow circle.

Pulling me back to his chest, I take in his scent. He smells like pine and a rose that had just bloomed in the spring. Had he always smelled this good? Trying to avoid eye contact, I look over his shoulder.

I see a girl dancing. She has beautiful golden hair curled into perfect locks. She wears a bubble gum pink dress that reaches all the way to the floor. There are no jewels on the dress, it is just a simple ball gown. But it looks absolutely breathtaking as it follows her dance. She dances with a man just as perfect as she. He has the same golden hair and he wears a white suit with a black bow tie.

"Enjoying the party?" Zane mumbles in my ear, his deep voice is so low I barely catch onto his words.

Pulling my head up to face his, I stare into his curious eyes.

"You mean your coronation?" I tilt my head to the side, feeling my curls bounce.

"Ah yes, didn't want you to miss out." He smirks.

"You may have a title, Alpha, but I am not of your pack." I counter.

His eyes darken at my words, brows furrowing.

"Do not forget who's pack you are in."

"Why me?" I question.

His answer is quick.

"Because I promised you revenge."

"No."

"No?"

"Why dance with me? Out of every girl here. Why me?"

An emotion flickers through his eyes, but he quickly covers it.

"Like I said, you look beautiful tonight." He squeezes my hand slightly. Shivers run through my body. Is he really serious?

"Plus, you remind me of someone." He adds, his expression softening.

"Your mate?" I raise a brow.

Brows furrow again, this time in shock. Why does he move his eyebrows so much?

"No, actually... what do you know of her?" He questions, studying me like a textbook.

Leaning in close to his ear, I whisper, "Only that you murdered her in cold blood."

My own words chill me to the bone. Did I really just challenge him like that?

A low growl erupts from his throat. I pull back and meet his angry eyes.

"Watch your tongue before I have it removed." He threatens, gripping my hand so tight it might just pop off and fall onto the dance floor.

"Am I wrong, Alpha?" I say as coy as I can muster.

"You don't know the real story." He looks away, his eyes are hurt.

Was she right? Did Ellie really die by somebody else's hands?

"I'm sorry." I sigh out, silently begging to flash back a few moments ago when he was in a breezier mood.

He then whips me around, dipping me slowly to the ground, holding onto me by the small of my back. Staring into my eyes intently, he gives me a hint of a smile.

Pulling me up slowly, our faces inches apart, his angry eyes are gone.

"I have decided I am tired of caging you, little bird." He purrs. We are so close that one small move would cause our lips to touch.

Sucking in my fear, I take a slow shaky breath.

"So you are letting me return home?" I question hopefully. My pack must be worried. Lance must be looking for me by now.

He lets out a small chuckle as if I am insane, "So eager to return to a place where your life has no meaning."

My mouth open slightly at his accusation.

"I-I have a job there. I am one of high position in my pack." I defend myself.

He rolls his eyes. This angers me. He acts as if my life means nothing.

"You will remain here." he commands, his eyes harden once again, "At my estate."

"And if I run away?"

He leans closer to me, lips brushing my hair close to my ear, "Then I will hunt you down and drag you back." His words are like ice, sending frozen shards into my skin. My heart beats faster, at how close he is to me, and at the truth in his words.

"What do you want with me?" My lip quivers.

He spins me around in another small circle, breaking the tension from his glare.

Pulling me back roughly, I slam into his chest. He wraps an arm around my back, the other comes to hold the base of my neck.

"Sweetheart, you are going to steal from the Alpha of the Healing pack." His velvety voice rings through my ears once again.

My eyes widen. Heart drops. Stomach protests the wine. I am going to throw up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading! Leave a comment on what you think!