The unexpected savior

Author's note: Hey, everyone! As always, thank you for your amazing support! For the reading of this chapter, I recommend listening to the song "Impossible" by  Shontelle. PLEASE vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! Thanks and have a great day/evening/night.

Chapter 21: The unexpected savior

Since Darcy had to leave early for a work interview, she woke up before Jane and Loki and left breakfast ready for them before leaving. Two hours after she left, Jane woke up and took a moment to look at the sun shining through the window and enjoy the fact that she was not in an Asgardian prison. However, the feeling did not last too long since the scientist soon remembered the way things were between her and Loki. In the beginning, falling for him and choosing to be with him seemed so wrong, but she realized that losing what they had was much worse.

- I need to fix the damage I have done and Loki has to understand that he made me change! He has to... – Jane said to herself, distressed and leaving the bed. She then sighed, made the bed and went downstairs to eat. Darcy had left a message on the nightstand saying she left breakfast ready in the kitchen, so Jane knew she would not have to cook.

When she arrived at the kitchen to eat, she saw Loki sitting in an armchair while skimming through a book. After what happened in New Asgard every time Jane gazed at him, she felt like her heart was being shattered. The woman did not know what to say anymore to convince him not to avoid her. To catch his attention, Jane cleared her throat loudly. He looked at her and had both sadness and anger in his eyes. "I don't want to continue this stupid argument. It's too painful. If she is a traitor, then why did she save me from imprisonment? Was it another strategy?" Loki thought, nervous. He was not only heartbroken but also was having a taste of his own medicine for the first time.

- Good morning. Aren't you going to eat with me? – Jane asked. He did not look into her eyes to answer:

- I have already eaten. – The scientist nodded, sat on a high chair at Darcy's counter and started eating. What she wanted the most was to run to Loki, give a thousand explanations and beg for his forgiveness one more time. The only reason why she chose not to do it was that she wanted to respect his personal space for a couple of minutes. "If I were Loki, I would also be devastated and furious. How can I possibly blame him for acting this way?" Jane thought, upset.

After finishing to eat her breakfast, which was eggs benedict and a cup of coffee, Jane went towards the living room. The god of mischief was still skimming through the book and refusing to give the woman any attention. Deep down, all that Loki wanted was to get back together with Jane, but he was conflicted. The god of mischief had no way of knowing whether she actually cared for him... at least that was what he was trying to make himself believe.

- Are you seriously going to avoid me forever? – Jane asked, crossing her arms and starting to lose her patience. Even though the warrior was a very understanding person and knew she had made a mistake by betraying Loki, she could not stand that attitude of his anymore.

The god of mischief sighed and rolled his eyes. Avoiding Jane was the only way he could feel less upset at that moment. What would Loki even say to her? He had no idea. At the same time, Loki wished to speak his mind to Jane and say how much he hated what she did, he preferred to remain quiet not to feel even angrier.... and sadder.

- I simply have nothing to talk about. – he answered quickly. The scientist laughed, a little angry, and said:

- Really? The most talkative god in the Nine Realms has nothing to say? – Thor's brother kept ignoring her. Jane did not know what to do anymore. At the same time that Jane was annoyed with Loki's inability to understand how she cared for him; she was feeling guilty for trying to convince him to forgive her. The scientist had really betrayed him, so how could she expect him to accept her apologies?