Silent Hearts

Niha was discharged from the hospital and went straight to her uncle's mansion. She went to her room to take some rest. She started thinking about the conversation she heard that morning in the college.

FLASHBACK.

Niha was waiting for Dev in the corridor. On the other hand, Maya, who was quitting college came to take her TC.

"Morning Maya." Dev wishes her so causally with a smile.

She looked at him in bewilderment.

"How can you be so normal Dev? You are acting as if nothing happened yesterday."

"Okay then you tell me how should I behave, Maya."

Dev argued.

"Dev, I don't want to argue with you. Give me a straight answer to my one question. Do you love me or not?"

Without waffling around, she asked.

"No. Because I never felt like this for you. I just considered you my friend. Nothing more, Maya. Moreover, I have to achieve something before having a commitment in my life. If you ever felt like this beacuse of my actions, then I am really sorry, Maya."

Maya nodded and walked away, her heart heavy with disappointment.

Niha had just realized her feelings for Dev, and witnessing his rejection of Maya sent shockwaves through her. She had planned to confess her love to him, but now she hesitated, fearing that she might face the same fate as Maya.

Her heart ached with uncertainty, and she took a step back, deciding to postpone her confession for another day. She needed time to gather her courage and brace herself for the possibility of rejection.

Dev, while empathetic towards Maya, felt nothing for her. His heart was already captured by someone else – Niharika. Maya's rejection barely registered in his emotions, his thoughts consumed by the woman who had unknowingly stolen his heart.

*******

She was sitting on her balcony looking at the moon, which brought serenity to the night but still didn't calm the chaos in her heart.

"I love you, Dev. But mujhe pata hain ki ab tum inn sab cheezon ke liye ready nahi ho. I respect your feelings. Main tumhare liye wait karti rahungi, even if it takes a lifetime. Tum apne achievements accomplish karo. It's my first priority. Waise mujhe nahi pata jab tum meri asliyat jaan'ne ke baad tum mera saath doge..."

(I love you, Dev. But, I know you aren't ready for this. I respect your feelings. I will wait for you, even if it takes a lifetime. You accomplish your achievements. It's my prime concern. I don't know whether you would stand by me after knowing my truth...)

A lone tear escaped her eye, which glistened under the moonlight.

*******

Dev was in his painting room, lying exhausted on a bean bag. He was looking at the sea waves, a few kilometres away from his balcony.

"I love you Niha. But mujhe pata hain tumhare liye tumhare dreams and goals kitna important hain. Mera pyaar kabhi bhi tumhare liye ek restriction nahi banegi. I will be waiting for you. Tumhare intezaar mein... Main apni puri zindagi bita sakta hoon. Bas tumhara saath kafi hain,as a friend as a supporter.Lekin I don't know mera past jaan'ne ke baad tum mujse pyaar kar paaogi..."

(I love you, Niha. But I know how important dreams and goals are for you. My love can never be a restriction for you. I will be waiting for you. I can spend my whole life in that wait. I just want your support as a friend. But I don't know whether you would be able to love me after knowing my past.)