Chapter 6

Dedicated to @11starfish
She Co-Wrote this chapter so shoutout to her!

Link turned to face the charging Gerudo soldiers. It wasn't that he was afraid, but Ganondorf's message still weighed heavily on his heart. He couldn't confess to Zelda, not now, but he wanted to say something. Just in case...

When he turned back around, though, she was already gone. Link ran over to Jorulph, worry etched into his face.

"Where did Zelda go?"

Jorulph fired another arrow. "The queen went to fight. She can take care of herself, as you know, sir."

Link clenched his fists tightly, but Jorulph was right. He had seen Zelda in action and knew what she was capable of. He couldn't let his worries distract him––the soldiers needed him. Grabbing the Master Sword, Link raced down the stairs and exited the fort. The battlefield was chaos. Arrows, some with bombs attached, whizzed by his ears. The metallic clangs of swords and shields filled the air. Link winced every time a wounded soldier moaned, praying it wasn't Zelda. Focus, he told himself. Soon, he was locked into combat with a burly Gerudo soldier.

The soldier swung his sword with reckless abandon, but Link easily blocked it with his shield. Link then jumped backward and rushed at the soldier. Although his attack was mostly deflected, the Master Sword managed to graze his arm, drawing blood. The soldier winced and stumbled away. Link took advantage of his momentary weakness by advancing and stabbing him in the side. The soldier fell to the ground, breathing heavily. Link spotted Zelda's purple, blue, and gold armor glinting in the dying sunlight.

"Zelda!" he called. "I'm over here!"

She searched frantically for Link's voice. A Gerudo soldier took the opportunity to advance on her, but before Link could intervene, Zelda's sword met his and soon found its way to his neck.

See? Zelda can take care of herself, Link told himself, trying to calm down.

The battle wore on long through the night. Many of the soldiers Link took down easily, but others were quite skilled and gave Link a run for his rupees. He sustained a wound in the shoulder from an arrow and a couple of scratches, but nothing too serious. As he cut through the lines, Link's determination only seemed to grow. He just needed to get to Ganondorf, but no matter how many soldiers fell at his hand, he felt he was getting no closer.

Suddenly, Link felt a hand on his shoulder and spun around. To his relief, it was only Zelda. Her green eyes sparkled with excitement as she placed one finger on her lips and pointed another at a figure in the distance.

"Ganondorf," Link breathed.

Zelda nodded. "I'll distract him, you attack."

Link's stomach sank. "No, Zelda, I'll distract him. You know he wants you."

Zelda planted her hands on her hips. "I'll be a much better distraction since he wants me.
Besides, you're the better swordsman. It would only make sense for you to attack."

Link Sighed. "I won't let anything happen to you."

She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, "I know."

With that, she jogged off towards the dark figure, twirling her sword with ease. Link crouched and slowly made his way to the figure's backside, being careful to remain absolutely silent. If he messed up, he would not be able to bear the consequences.

Zelda let out a melodic laugh, but her voice was bitter. "Ganondorf."

"Ah, Queen Zelda," Ganondorf growled. "I was hoping to see you here."