why did it take so long

2 weeks later

Taylor had a newfound sense of purpose in his life. Although while in hospital, his empty feeling had only got worse, it made him more determined to get back to where he was before Zac showed up that day. Even though it wasn't something he should've been doing, he realised: he's fighting for something. Something in him cares, something in him wants his life back, his friends, family, everything. Something in him wants to feel.

It became habit for him to avoid the kitchen, but ever so, he was feeling better than he had in months. The determination was in him to feel. After a long week of fighting with himself, asking himself if he really could be bothered, he had asked Zac to come over to play some music. He was hoping the music would help him heal.

Zac sat at Taylor's drums and Taylor held his guitar, staring it down.

"What do you want to play?" Zac asked, watching worriedly as Taylor just stared at his guitar. He was trying to figure out what to play. He wasn't sure he wanted to play Paramore at the moment. He felt they were too broken apart to be thinking of words she wrote. He wasn't sure he even remembered how to play.

He tried plucking at some strings and his fingers began to move at a memorised efficiency.

The two men ended up playing some covers of songs they loved when they were teenagers. A much simpler time. Zac could see this spark in Taylor's eyes, something that had been lost for so long.

As time went on, Taylor used the music he was creating to help himself heal. It gave him a purpose, so when Zac finally suggested they go into the studio, he wasn't opposed to the idea.

He woke up that morning feeling honestly better than he had in months. He couldn't wait to get into the studio.

Zac invited Hayley without Taylor's knowledge, so when they both showed up just minutes apart, there was a very awkward silence that filled the room. Taylor stared at her, guilt filling his heart. He could see it in her face that she wasn't sleeping well, and it made him wonder if it was his fault.

Taylor decided not to say anything to her. He knew it would make him feel bad, so he just didn't. Hayley was grateful for this, because she probably would've broken down in tears if she heard his voice speaking to her. They worked around each other in total silence. Not ideal, but at least neither of them stormed out this time.

"I've been working on a few things. I don't know what they are, just little demos I guess," Hayley describes quietly to Zac. He sat next to her and she played the slow bass led song. He nodded along to the 30 seconds of music.

"Wow, it's really original." Zac smiled. Her lips cracked at a smile, but it never fully came. She tapped at the laptop for a minute, before closing it and taking her bag.

"I've got plans. I need to get ready," she said, slotting the laptop in the bag.

"Lukas again?" Hayley glared at Zac, glancing at Taylor. Luckily, he was too focused on the riff he was playing to hear the name. As she was walking out, she remembered something. His birthday.

"Oh...uh his birthday's coming up so he's having a party or something. Didn't know people still do that," she said with a laugh. Taylor looked up from his guitar.

"You don't have to come but you can if you want." Zac nodded and Taylor didn't respond, not totally sure he she was talking about.

"We'll be there." Zac came out with. Taylor didn't know what they were talking about, nor did he care enough to ask.