Chapter 26: The King

Previously:

I dive through the curtain between them and land inside the tent on my hands and knees.

The impact ripples up my stinging arm and into my head. I raise my gaze, resisting the urge to close my eyes from the headache.

Rahlan is staring at me in horror. My eyes are drawn to the man behind him. He has a long face, curly brown hair and a silver ring on his head that glows in the candlelight.

Two iron hands lock around my biceps and pull me to my feet. "My deepest apologies, King Groel," a guard says, "We did not foresee her second attempt."

His red eyes bore into mine. The vampire king.

The guards drag me back faster than I can walk. My feet trip over each other, putting all my body weight on my arms.

"Hold," the king commands.

The guards stop, allowing me to stand but not releasing my arms.

The king steps towards me.

"Pardon the interruption," Rahlan says, "My new pet is not yet trained."

I glare at him, and he shoots me a sharp look.

The king cups my chin in his cold hand, forcing my head up. I tug against the guards, but their fists are like stone. A vampire is touching my face, and I'm helpless to stop him. My neck and shoulders are completely exposed. I can't move an inch.

He finally removes his hand, but his gaze stays locked with mine. "Did the little one miss her master?"

I glance at Rahlan. He's not pleased. The king could order his guards to attack me, and Rahlan wouldn't be able to do anything to stop them. Not wanting to anger him, I give a small nod.

"'Tis pleasing to see humans dependent on their owners – the natural roll of their species," the king says.

Our natural roll? I turn my head to hide my expression. It doesn't matter what he thinks.

"Dismissed," the king says. The guards release my arms before exiting out the curtain behind me.

The king returns to his desk with Rahlan. I rub the numb spots on my arms, watching both of them.

"I heard that you were too eager to wait for the city gates to fall?" the king says, "Charging in alone again?"

"I couldn't risk the weasel Ivan slipping away," Rahlan says. He appears to have relaxed now that the king has lost interest in me. I guess the king can't execute a lord, but no such protection is afforded to a human like me.

"I take it he did not?" the king asks.

I pull my feet together and fiddle with my fingers.

"We will not be hearing of him again," Rahlan says.

They're just talking like I'm not here. I'm not seen as an enemy citizen who could leak their strategic information. I'm seen as a piece of property.

The king straightens the map on the desk. "I imagine it was cathartic?"

Rahlan folds his arms. "Why am I here?"

The king steps behind the table and brushes a sheet of paper off the map. "Your father's estate is in chaos – guards scattered, mob justice not uncommon. Your mother's not the leader he was."

"'Tis not surprising."

"I sent a liegeman to restore order, to act as a surrogate ruler. Your mother will continue to enjoy the luxuries of a lord's lady without the inconvenience of managing her lands."