Chapter 18: Among the Prisoners

Author's Note:

Two chapters were published today. Make sure you read Chapter 17 – The Campaign before this one.

I thrash and flail and writhe in Ohan's grip. He releases my hand, causing me to lose my balance and hit the ground.

He stares at me like I'm a wild animal, and Rahlan appears beside him.

"Ya' little human got lost," Ohan says. "Not so chatty anymore."

"Lost?" Rahlan shoots me a look, as if I committed a crime.

I get back on my feet and dust the dirt off my sleeves. "You're the one who disappeared," I grumble.

"Oh, there she is chatten again," Ohan says. "She must've just missed her master, 'ey?"

"Must've," Rahlan smirks.

I glare at him.

Ohan becomes distracted by the roasted pork being taken off the fire. He heads to a table, leaving Rahlan and I to ourselves.

The meat catches Rahlan's attention too, seemingly causing him to forget about my supposed transgression. He grabs a portion and signals for me to follow him back to the tent.

He takes a seat on a rock, and I sit beside him. A large piece of meat is torn off and handed to me.

"Thanks," I say out of habit. It's twice the serving I'm used to. I take a bite of the salty pork, and a groan escapes my lips. It's good.

"'Tis rare to see you thankful."

"Sorry my bad, it won't happen again," I say between bites.

Right as I'm about to take another mouthful, he pinches the meat out of my hands.

I jump to my feet, but he holds it up out of my reach.

"Give it back," I whine, clawing at his arm.

He smirks, again.

"Please, give it back."

He lowers his arm, allowing me to grab onto the delicious meat. I try take it, but his grip stays tight.

"Don't you have something to say?" he teases.

I let out a sigh. "Thank you, I am grateful..." I say in the most monotone voice I can.

He releases his grip, the smirk still plastered on his face.

"I am grateful that you're so easily fooled," I finish the sentence.

He reaches for my food again, but I spring away. I was ready this time, and now I'm the one smirking.

His eyes narrow. "I'll get you for that one," he says.

I munch down on the pork, only returning to sit beside him once I'm full enough that I wouldn't mind if he snatched it away.

My eyes wander around the camp as I finish my food. The fires' warm glow illuminates the vampires, all eating and chatting together in small groups. It reminds me of the Harvest festival from home.

"Is this your everyday life?" I ask.

"As of recent. Why?" he says.

"It's very different... but also the same in some ways."

"Just wait until you see the dragon."

I choke on my food. "The what?"

"The dragon. We'll pass him tomorrow. Fire breathing, wings, the lot of it."