✯Chapter 29✯

I was telling Levi about a few things that happened with my students today, but I noticed that something was off about him. He was listening, but he grew awfully quiet. Before I got the chance to ask him what was wrong, he suddenly pulled the car aside and I saw a red car speed past us. My eyes widened. The person had tinted windows, but I could recognize that red Rover from anywhere.

"What the hell..." I brought out, "Isn't he afraid of getting caught?"

"He knows where you work," Levi stated, "He's going to keep following you. It's not safe for you."

My heart was racing, and for once it wasn't because I was in love with Levi. I couldn't just quit my job because of Colt... could I?

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked, my voice cracking under the pressure.

Levi looked over at me. "I'll handle it."

We spent the rest of that day at the police station. The two of us were ordered to stay at home as much as we possibly could. I was told to explain the situation to my school board of directory so that they could be aware that I was going to need a replacement for the time being. I didn't like the thought of being replaced in my job.

Once we arrived back home, I got out of my car and went straight to my room. I hated how Colt was influencing my life to his liking. Wasn't this what he wanted, to make my life a living hell because he couldn't get me back? Wasn't my misery just fueling his possessiveness?

Levi opened my door. He walked over to me and sat on the bed right next to me.

"It's not fair," I muttered, squeezing the pillow against my chest, "Colt always gets what he wants. It's always been like that."

Levi didn't reply.

"He wants me to feel as if my life is ruined because I'm not by his side anymore," I said, feeling tears well up in my eyes, "I can't believe he's such an asshole."

Levi chuckled. "Well, it doesn't surprise me, and I know him way less than you do."

I grimaced. "Yeah, I guess..."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you," he said, placing his hand on my arm.

"I know, it's okay. It's true anyway. And the worst part is that I can't get away from him because he won't leave me alone. He won't even give me a divorce. I don't want to have to take him to court to do this, it seems like such a hassle. He's not serious about me, so why does he want to stay married to me? Just to torture me?"

Levi wrapped his arms around me comfortingly, the pillow being the only wall between us. "I wish you didn't have to go through this," he whispered, "You, more than anyone else in the world, deserves to be happy."

"Do I?" I asked, "It doesn't feel like it."

He lowered the pillow so that he could plant a kiss on my lips. I blushed.

"W-what was that for?" I stammered like an idiot.

"Just because that idiot wants you to be miserable doesn't mean you should be," he told me, "You decide on your own whether you want to be happy or not, no matter what situation you're facing." Levi placed his warm hands on top of mine. "I'll make sure you stay happy, okay? I promise."

I smiled at him. I couldn't ask for a better boyfriend. The determination in his voice made me feel at ease as soon as they came out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry for being a handful," I replied, grinning at him.

He grinned back at me. "You're worth it."

I leaned in to kiss him and wrapped my legs around him. He responded by pushing me back on my back to intensify the kiss. I knew that every time we did this he would feel some pain because of his injuries, but it didn't stop him. Words couldn't describe this feeling. The feeling of losing yourself to the person you loved... The feeling of looking into his eyes and realizing that you fell in love hard with the right person... That moment of realization that you were ready to give your all to this person, heart and soul, because you knew that despite the things you were going through, you knew he could make it all right again. Levi's promise wasn't just empty words. In fact, I was scared of him ever meeting Colt face-to-face. Levi would beat him to a pulp for all the things he did to me, and having Levi go back to jail simply wasn't an option.