✯Chapter 2✯

Author's Note: Picture of Colt Winchester

◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩

"Okay, spill it, what's wrong with you today?"

I snapped out of my gaze and found two of my teacher friends looking at me. Was I being that obvious?

"It's nothing," I said, munching slowly on my sandwich.

"There's obviously something," Coraline told me, "Otherwise you wouldn't be staring off into space like that."

"What's going on?" Tina asked, and then in a jokingly manner, "What did Colt do to you?"

But just hearing his name made me sigh. The two women looked at each other and then back at me.

"What did he do?" Tina asked, placing a hand on my shoulder now.

"I don't know," I said, trying to gulp the lump in my throat away, "I just... have some suspicions."

"Of what?"

Coraline frowned. "Don't tell me... Do you think he's been unfaithful to you?"

Hearing someone else say those words were more hurtful than me thinking them. I bit my bottom lip and nodded. The ladies gasped in shock, causing a few more teachers to look our way. They grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into a more secluded room next to the teacher's lounge.

"What did he do?" Tina asked.

"What did you find?" Coraline continued.

"His shirt..." I felt like I was breaking apart. "It was... stained."

"With what? Blood?"

Coraline nudged Tina. "Why the hell would it be stained with blood?"

Tina grinned. "Sorry..."

I sighed. "It was lipstick," I said, "I'm pretty sure. It looked like someone was trying to remove the stain, but it smeared and left a big smudge on his shirt. There was no way I could have overlooked it."

The women were silent for a while. They just held my hands comfortingly.

"I'm sorry to hear that, honey," Coraline told me, "It must be killing you inside. Is there anything we can do?"

"There is," Tina exclaimed excitedly, "I know someone who knows someone. I can figure this out for you."

"What do you mean?" Coraline asked her cautiously.

She laughed. "Don't worry, I've got this. I can arrange a meeting for you with a private investigator today. I'll let you know the time. Is that cool with you?"

"A private investigator?" I asked surprised. Wasn't that a bit much? "Are they expensive?"

"I'll pay the expenses for you," Tina said, "Don't worry about the details. I just need to know if you'll accept or not. We'll find out if Colt is cheating or not as soon as possible."

"I don't know about this..."

Coraline shrugged. "Honestly, I think it's not a bad idea, Scarlett. Rather than worrying yourself sick about whether he's cheating on you or not, why don't you let someone else handle it? If push comes to shove, we'll be there for you when you hear the results."

"I don't think you're the type to do the investigating yourself," Tina added, "So why not let him do it for you? It'll erase your doubts about Colt too, in case he's innocent."

"Okay," I gave in, "I guess we can... give it a try..."

Coraline and Tina both grinned at me. But I didn't feel as excited as them about this.