[Castle J] Picnic

"Do we really have to do this?" I asked

"Yeah, it'll be fun." Seongjun answered. "Besides, we rarely do things together anymore."

He laid down the red picnic blanket on the grass. The weather is nice today, just the perfect amount of breeze and the perfect amount of sunshine. There are only a few people in the park—children playing around with a ball, a group of teenage friends and a family sitting on two of the picnic tables.

"There are a lot of vacant picnic tables." I said. "We don't have to sit on the grass."

He looked at me as if I'm crazy. "But we're sitting on a blanket."

"I mean—"

"I know, I know." He laughed lightly. "It's fine. We're already settled so just sit down."

Seongjun is a close friend. I don't exactly know when and how we became friends but it goes way back.

We have a separate group of friends but that didn't estranged us in any way. Every few months or so, we meet up and catch up on things with each other. Much like our picnic today.

Seongjun has weird taste on picking where to go and what to do. The last time, we went to a fish spa where you sit with your feet in water and little fish come and eat the dead skin off your toes. Both of us just ended up screaming the second a fish touched our skin and the employees literally had to shush us down to keep us from disturbing other customers. Thinking about it now, it was quite funny but we swore to never do that again.

Today is one of his peaceful picks. Not to mention awkward, at least for me, because why the hell would we go on a picnic with just the two of us. I always think picnics are romantic and coming here with him makes my heart pound.

"Picnics are boring." I lied to him as I sat down.

"Well, that's because you've never been on a picnic with me." He said. "By the time we have to go, I'm sure you wouldn't want to stand up. Or you'd be calling me nonstop for the next few days, begging me to take you on another picnic."

I rolled my eyes. He's always like this. He thinks everything he does is perfect, even though we already proved that wrong multiple times. "Fine. Just show me what you've got." I nodded to his bag.

Seongjun prepared for everything, like he always does. When he asks me what I want to do for our next meetup, I always say "Surprise me." or something similar to that line. I'm not much of a planner. He is. But I always end up with something to complain about his plans. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, I just don't want to admit it to him.

He opened the picnic bag he brought and began pulling out containers after containers of food.

"You realize there are only two of us, right?" I said as I take in how much he prepared. There's no way we could finish all that.