Chapter 31

I sat around a table at the last place I thought I'd be. Surrounded by a bunch of people I thought I'd never see. Laughter and chatter rang out through the air, the excitement drained out by my sulking. Glasses of champagne passed over my head and my hands itched to down one of them.

I never thought I would see myself here. After all that went down for the past few months, here was the absolute last place I would want to be.

I was sitting at a table, flashing fake smiles and spewing lies in a house none other than Asha's. Honestly, if it was solely my choice I wouldn't have agreed to this. Mom begged me to come and Asha's mom, Addison adored me. It was funny how not updated our parents were. They thought Asha and I were still buddy buddy with each other and obviously that was not the case. The girl hated me and as it was too strong of a word for me I would say I was less fond of her myself.

Asha and I were glaring at each other from across the table, our eyes never leaving each other. She pulled out her lip gloss, applying some on her lips all the while watching me. I smirked at her, drawing my perfectly straight brunette hair to the back of my shoulder before folding my hands on my chest.

It was Mrs. Addison's birthday so we were trying our best to keep our cool. Mrs. Addison already had us sidled up beside each other to take numerous photos. Photos I was sure if fell into Asha's hands would be ashes in no time. "The girls have gotten so big. So mature and pretty." Addison gushed and Asha and I conjured up a fake smile. Mom agreed with a wide smile.

"It's been forever since Asha dropped by. I'm beginning to think we have some non-existent beef." She winked at Asha and the fake smile that followed had me almost laughing. She could have fooled my mom, her mom and everyone around this table but she couldn't fool me. I had put up with Asha's fake side for years. Believe me, there was a time where I was just as deceived as mom and Mrs. Addison were right now. In fact, it was only months ago I saw right through her facade.

"Of course not! You're like my favourite person!" She beamed in my mom's direction and I cringed. "I talk about you almost all the time with Lenna." It was crazy how easily she lied and pretended. I recalled her saying that her 'favourite' person was pathetic. "Right, Lenna?" She just had to drag me in. I looked up at her. There was this conniving glint in her eyes and it honestly scared me a little. People like Asha scared me.

I reached for a stick of carrot that apparently was on the platter as a decoration for the food. "You probably do talk about her, just not with me, you backstabbing, manipulative bi-" I muttered and brought the carrot to my lips.

"Lenna!" My mom scolded in my ear, discreetly. "Put that down!" I bit into the carrot, chewing extremely loud. She looked up at the people around the table with an awkward smile. Everyone was looking at me weirdly but did I care? No. Lenna did not give two flying ducks.

The waiter near me tripped and the contents in the bowl spilled onto me. I shifted in my seat as a grimace made its way on my face. My dress was a soggy mess. It was wet, sticky and had mushrooms all over it. "Are you stupid? Can you not see? Is dumb your middle name?" A heavy voice said and I nearly jumped from my seat.

"S-sorry sir." The waiter apologised then turned to me. "Sorry miss." His face had gone pale and his hand slightly shook.

"It's fine." I replied softly. I didn't have to look to know who it was that was now throwing words like stones. The stern, raspy voice. The subtle stench of alcohol. The dead silence in the room. It had to be him.

John. Asha's dad.

"Get your things and get out. You're fired." He motioned to the door and I squirmed in my seat. My mom was staring blankly at the table top. If it was anyone else other than John, I would have said something. I however, knew that talking up to John was not a good idea when he was intoxicated.