Chapter 10

Jayce shot up from the bed with frantic eyes. I gave him a small smile but he didn't return it. Instead he quickly patted his pockets. "Jayce?" He didn't bother to look at me. "Jayce?"

"What time is it?" He asked, his voice rushed. "Where is my phone? What time is it?" I stood, grabbing the phone off the nightstand to hand it to him.

"Chill. The phone is right here and it's ten pm. You fell asleep. I didn't want to wake you." His eyes widened and he grasped his head.

"No, no, no." He started pacing and I was beginning to freak out. I'd never seen Jayce this rattled. He was fidgeting and acting weird.

"Jayce? Are you okay?"

"I shouldn't be here." He continued saying over and over again. His eyes were a dark shade of green instead of its usual lightness and his overall presence was different. More intimidating.

Wait. What if Jayce was a mental patient that escaped the asylum and thought he was me and finally he snapped back to reality and realised who he really was? "Jayce!" I shouted to shake him out of his reverie but he snapped.

"Just stop with the Jayce, Jayce, Jayce! Stop calling me, Jayce. It's annoying." He stated roughly, passing his hand down his face. He was sweating a lot and he seemed nervous and beyond aggravated.

"It's your name." I pointed out, a bit exasperated and he snorted. Wasn't it? He was scaring me. What if I let a psycho stay in my home and introduced him to my mom? God, all those lifetime movies I watched and still got myself into this trap.

"Sure." Why was he so confusing! What did he mean by 'sure'. "I should go before things get even more screwed up than it already is. Have a good night, Lenna Adams." Then he was gone. He didn't hesitate like he usually did when exiting the window. He just left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I think that'll be fun." I agreed with the rest of the seniors. "Count me in." We were currently gathered in the parking lot of the school. Some of the seniors were sitting on their cars. Others were sitting casually on the ground and the majority were standing.

"So if you're interested in participating in Photo the Known Site, just report to me or Amber over there." Adam, a tall blonde guy said then motioned towards Amber. Amber was a redhead with beautiful blue eyes and a bubbly personality. She loved organizing stuff right next to Adam. They were basically meant to walk the same path in life. Everyone nodded. "Amber will give some brief remarks on the rules of the game and the rewards." 

I felt a hand on my shoulder and a bolt of electricity shot up my arm. I smiled. This must be Dylan.

"Hey, are you-" My smile dropped as I realised who it was. I turned back around, completely ignoring Jayce. A face came down near mine and my breath hitched. 

"Please don't tell me you're going to hold last night against me." His breath blew against my face and I fought the urge to not swoon or something which was really weird. I swoon for one person and one person only. Dylan.

His breath was minty cool against my cheeks. I ignored him and raised my hand to gain Amber's attention. "Do we get to pick our own teams?" I asked, hoping that we do get the privilege to gather our own team. Jayce remained close.

"You do get to do that. It's in groups of ten. Adam and I will give the various list of known sites in the town to each group on the day. Anymore questions?" A few hands shot up.

"Look I'm sorry, okay." That was Jayce. 

"Okay Jayce, I'm really not up for inviting jerks into my life so why don't we just forget this whole thing where you help me 'save' myself, okay? I've realised that the only person that can really save me, is me." No one really got you or understood you like you would. He opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off. "And don't say you're me, because I'm going to elbow you in the stomach."