Chapter 21

Caspien was even more weird the next few days. Every time I made a joke he never laughed. When I asked him a question he would ignore it then ask me a question instead. He resented any form of touch contact and never answered my messages or calls. He was adamant on leaving exactly 7 pm every night. Overall, he was just so moody. It made me want to hit him in the face with an apple.

"Are you going to join our study groups?" I asked Caspien, peering up from a Chemistry textbook. I was sitting on my bed with my legs crossed and a bag of cookies. Caspien was sitting in my office chair, reading a book as usual.

His eyes never left the book. "No." My eyes narrowed at him as I bit into a cookie.

"Why not?" I pressed on and his eyes remained fixed on the book.

"Not interested." What's with the short answers? He really knew how to get on my nerves. I hated when people did that. It annoyed the hell out of me.

I remained silent, trying to focus on the paragraph in front of me. I kept glancing up at Caspien whose legs were now crossed. He looked quite comfortable. "Can I borrow your highlighter?"

"No." He answered shortly again and I sucked in a deep breath.

"Why not?" I gritted out. He was being such a jerk. Ever since that little trip back to the Society he had been ice cold.

"Because I don't feel like sharing." He looked at me this time. Yep, he was annoyed. "Anymore questions, Lenna? I'm trying to read here. You're becoming a nuisance." That's it. Kick him out, Lenna. This is your house. Who does he think he is?

My mouth was agape as I eyed the boy. I then got off the bed, making my way towards him. Something wasn't right about Caspien. He was acting funny.

I slowly approached him with my hands joined behind my back as I studied him closer. "You're not Caspien, are you?" I said, watching him intently. He slowly looked up at me as though it was a task. He rested the book on his leg then folded his hands on his chest with amusement in his eyes.

I circled him, paying close attention to his behaviour. He stared straight ahead with locked jaws. I stopped in front of him, resting my hands on the chair hand rest and bringing my face closer to his to stare into his green orbs. "Your eyes are darker. Even your mood is darker." I told him with a thoughtful look. His eyes never left mine. "Maybe your body has been snatched. With all the weird things associated with The Society you might as well take that as a possibility."

"You're right." I cocked my head to the side. Why would he agree to such an absurd thing? "My body was snatched by a very very bad spirit." He said, shaking his head from side to side with a hand over his heart.

"Really?" He flicked my forehead and I backed away while rubbing my forehead.

"Why are you so gullible, huh? Are you a simpleton?" I rolled my eyes, folding my hands on my chest as I eyed him. He was glaring at me and I glared right back.

"Four months ago you appeared in my room announcing that you're me mentally but not physically. You know things I don't even know about myself. With you, anything is possible. I won't be surprise if your body was actually snatched." He shook his head, ignoring me. 

I walked closer again to peek at the book cover. I always wondered what type of books Caspien read. Mystery? Science Fiction? Romance? I covered my mouth, fighting back a laugh. Romance and Caspien in one sentence sounded funny. "What are you reading?" I asked and he kept his eyes on the book.

"Nosy." He replied and I fought the urge to stamp my feet. How annoying. Just answer my questions without these short answers. 

I reached for the book and he raised it high in the air. "Just let me see!" I shrieked, resting my left hand on his chest to support me and my right to reach further for the book. "Let me-" I tiptoed and my knees accidentally bumped on his so I ended up tripping and straddling him in the process. We both froze in place, our eyes locked on each other.