Notice

Hello/Bonjour! Thank you for choosing to read this book.

The idea for this story has been with me for a long time. I originally wrote the first draft sometime in 2017. After reaching 43,000 words, I stopped. I had realized that this story was far beyond my capability at the time. Since then, I have tried to return to Brightest Star on numerous occasions, and some attempts get further than others. But even though I can never seem to finish this idea, I want to keep trying, because this story means a lot to me.

Since writing that original draft, many aspects of it have changed. The biggest change was my decision to alter the setting.

The current setting for Brightest Star is still not a real-world place; Northwood doesn't exist, but the key difference is that it takes place in Canada, which is where I have lived all my life. I will do my best to represent it, and to discuss topics that are important to me.

With that being said, if anything doesn't make sense to you, please drop me a comment. I might end up making the occasional reference that just doesn't make sense to my outside readers—in which case, I will happily explain!

I was around fourteen when I came up with this idea, so in the effort to keep this story as faithful to my original draft as possible, I'm keeping the clichés. Some of them are for the fun of it, and other clichés are there to illustrate a point.

Secondly, there are content warnings in the description and at the end of this chapter. Please read and understand them before getting into this book. I am happy to guide you as per what chapters you should skip (or I can offer to summarize if you really want to know what happens in a particular scene) but please don't force yourself to read if you don't want to! I totally understand. This story is supposed to be lighthearted and contemporary, but it does touch on heavy subjects at times.

⚠️ Content Warning: ⚠️

- Scenes of abuse, (physical and verbal) mentions of alcohol and drugs. (Including underage use—the legal age in some provinces is nineteen.)

- Discussions of mental health, particularly depression and anxiety

- Bullying (mentions of homophobia, transphobia, and racism)

- The usage of 'Queer' as a slur

- Strong language/swearing

If there is anything else that you would like added to this list, please let me know.