Chapter 10: Kamski

As you pulled up to Kamski's house, a jolt of anxiety surged through you. Just the very sight of his expensive looking house- no, mansion- was enough to set you on edge. Visiting your uncle was not on your list of things to do when you first moved to Detroit. In fact, it was probably the last thing you would have ever done. But now you had no choice but to visit him. It was necessary for the investigation.

You couldn't get over the irony of the situation. You swore you would never see that man again, but yet here you were, coming to him for help.

You knew that there was nothing you could do about it though. Kamski was you and Connor's very last resort. Especially after what happened last night at Capitol Park.

You didn't think it was that serious at first. Although androids had broke into a Cyberlife store and 'stole' dozens of androids, there were no human causalities. It was just a peaceful android protest. Their own way of saying they're more than just merchandise on a store shelf. You thought it was a noble way of protesting.

That was until you got a call from Officer Collins about who was on the patrol team the previous night. Chris. You were petrified to even ask if he was alright. You sat parked in front of Kamski's house, car running, frozen in your seat as you listened to Ben for the details.

Connor sat idly by in the passenger seat, watching you speak on the phone in silence.

When you finally hung up with Ben, Connor was the first to speak up, "Is everything okay, Y/N?"

"Chris was on patrol last night." You explained to Connor, fidgeting with your cellphone in your hands, "He was attacked by a bunch of deviants... Officer Collins said that Chris said he was saved by Markus himself..." Chris was probably one of the only real friends you had made at the DPD. Everyone else was just an acquaintance, or asshole- in Gavin's case. You didn't know what you would do if he was killed by a deviant android. In that case, the blame would have fallen to you for not solving the investigation quick enough. You didn't think you would have been able to live with yourself if that was the case.

Connor's eyes widened, "Is Chris okay?"

You nodded, "Yeah, he's in shock but...he's alive..." Your voice began to trail as your attention shifted to your windshield, Kamski's house sitting- waiting- for you to enter. It was all because of him. He was the reason all of this was going on. The androids rising up. The deviants killing humans. He created a new race of people, enslaved them, then fled the company before he had to face the repercussions of his actions. That's all he was good for- fleeing.

But this didn't surprise you. You could learn that he was a serial killer and wouldn't be phased by it. You've known for years Kamski was a bad guy. And that was coming from his own niece.

"Connor..." You began, your eyes still on Kamski's house up ahead, "There's something you should know about my uncle. About me. Something I didn't tell you that night we went to the Eden Club."

You felt his hand on your shoulder, "You can tell me anything."

You could feel tingling in your chest from his words. You felt like you were in high school again- getting butterflies in your stomach at the smallest thing. You pushed a piece of hair behind your ear, raising your arm in a way that you hoped prevented him from seeing the blossoming blush on your face.

"I was never close to my dad, he was hardly ever around- even before my mother's accident. But my mom and I... we were really close. I was also close to Elijah Kamski. When I was younger, he was more of a father figure to me than my own father, his brother. Things seemed okay when I was younger, but after Cyberlife really took off, I rarely ever saw Kamski anymore. It was hard enough when I stopped hearing from Kamski, but when my father-." You paused, struggling to find the right words, "They both just abandoned me. Both of them... just... up and left. And I never knew why. Or what I did to them."